What Other Type Of Bottom Feeder Can I Add To My Tank???

1. Violet Raven

Violet Raven New Member Member

Hi, I have a 20 gallon high (hexagon shape) freshwater tank with 1 corydora:emoji_fish:, 2 ACF's:emoji_frog: & 1 Apple snail :emoji_snail:. What other kind bottom feeder can I add? My ACF's are still small so they aren't a problem with the corydora yet, but I do want to get one more bottom feeder to help out with cleaning up the bottom of the tank if possible. Are there any kind of shrimp or Crab I could add & keep everyone peaceful, healthy & happy? Otherwise is there anything else can I add to help clean up the bottom of the tank?
    Thank you:;bananahi

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

African clawed frogs and fish are not a good mix. The frogs will eat your fish. Maybe not today, but soon.

A single cory is an unhappy cory. In the wild they are found in enormous shoals. In fishtanks it is recommended they have a group of six. You should either return him to the lfs, rehome him, or start another 20+ gallon tank and get a proper shoal.

The best way to keep the bottom of your tank clean is to feed carefully and get good with your gravel vaccum.

3. OP
    OP
    Violet Raven

I've had the corydora for about a year now, originally I had the corydora a bushy nose pleco & 3 glow fish, but the glow fish didn't last & I just recently lost my pleco :( I didn't want my Corydora to get depressed since the pleco was gone so that's when I went to see about getting an aquatic frog. I'm starting to realize the girl at the store knew less about fish than I do... I told her I had a corydora & she said the African clawed frogs would be a good choice, however after getting home & wanting to learn everything about my new little buddies I found out they shouldn't be with corydora fish due to the barbs on the fish:( So now I don't know what to do, are there any other bottom feeders that would make my Corydora happier & not be bothered with the African clawed frogs or snail?

4. maggie thecat

You are trying to keep two unsuitable tank mates. Either take the frogs back or set them up their own tank.

If you want the cory to be happy, get more cory.

5. OP
    OP
    Violet Raven

Could I keep a couple of Cory in the 10 gallon safely & happily or does it have to be a 20? I have a 20 it's just not set up right now.

6. maggie thecat

For anything other than quarentine, you need to use the 20 gallon.

7. OP
    OP
    Violet Raven

Ok thanx, I'm gonna definitely take ur advice & either rehome or start a shoal for him in the other tank this week. Before I do anything else with my current tank.:happy: Thank u very much for all ur help.
    Have a great day!:emoji_butterfly:

8. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Is it a 20 gallon high or 20 hex?

9. OP
    OP
    Violet Raven

Its a 20 gallon hexagon shape tank.

10. OP
    OP
    Violet Raven

:emoji_purple_heart::emoji_fish::emoji_peace:

Attached Files:

11. aquatickeeper

Then I'd rehome the cories. There isn't much space in a 20 hex for cories. Also, cleaning the bottom of the tank is your job, there's no fish that's going to do it all for you.

12. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree, this tank is too small for cories.

13. OP
    OP
    Violet Raven

Its not cories it's a single Cory & 2 ACF's thats all I have besides the 1 snail. I've spoken to ALOT of ppl about my Cory since posing this and I've been told by numerous professionals and hobbiests that my cory is fine being the only one, I've had him for over a year & he's happy healthy and very active & social. So I thank everyone for the advice but I'm gonna keep my Cory instead of stressing him out by rehoming him into another world for him to get used to all over again. Thanx to all that gave advice.

14. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Cories should be kept in groups of 6+, it'd be much happier in a group. It'd be better off in a larger tank with a group of its own type, imo.

15. aquatickeeper

The cories would need a minimum of 6+ and a bigger tank footprint. They like to be social towards their own kinds. I would really recommend rehoming him/her. Keeping it alone like this would actually stress it out and shorten it's lifespan.