What other fish? Please advise

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What other fish would you put in a 27 gal hexagonal tank with an angel, a clown loach, and 2 algae eaters?
Tom

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Re: What other fish?

What kind of algae eaters are they ?
Carol

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Chinese. Sorry. I am also planning on selling my fry. My tank will be empty after that and I don't want that.
Tom

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

tomh -

There is someting called stunting in fish that happens when the tank is too full and they do not have the room to acheive their full growth. The outside of their bodies do not grow anymore but their internal organs continue to try to grow. They are in pain and unwell and can die early and of horrible causes.

I will have to tell you that you have your tanks so overcrowded it is next door to being cruel to these fish. If you have an empty tank, it may be the best thing to get some of the fish from the other and give them some room.

Rose

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

I don't have an extra tank. And I don't have any money to get an extra tank either. :'( Thanks anyways.
Tom

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Besides, when the CAEs reach about 3" I'm going to try and get rid of them and get a new one, the Columbian shark reaches about 4-5" I'm going to get rid of it and get a cory instead (a nice experience), and when the clown loaches reach about 5-6" I'm going to try and get rid of them and get new ones. And all the platy fry in the 27 gal I'm trying to get rid of now, but I can't find anybody who wants them, there just to small (under half an inch). I have even tryed putting things in the paper for them and no response. So I have to resort to try and sell them to lfs that have room and want them or even to people that I know personally that have aquariums. And I'm aware my 33 gal tank is overcrowded, that is why I'm moving most of my tetras (except neons) to the 27 when the platy fry leave. Thanks for the advice.
Tom

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Tom is there an aquarium club near you? Most clubs have auctions and you can get sell unwanted fish there. You can also get new fish you might want.
Carol

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score

Your lfs won't buy your platy fry? That is odd. I'd also go ahead and trade in the clown loaches. They do much better in groups of at least 3. You only have 2 and they are separated. Since you hadn't planned on keeping them anyway, why not trade them in now for credit or more corys. One cory cat will also be lonely. I would also get rid of the CAE's now and go with the otos if you can get them. Your tank sounds very nice!

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Butterfly- I don't know if there are any aquarium clubs in my area. That is something I should look into. Thanks for the suggestion. And besides, I would have to wait untill the fry reach about 1-1.5" before someone would take them. And my mom's coworker has a 33 gal tank at school and is going to take about 6-10 of them anyways leaving me with about 9.

Gunnie- Thanks, my 33gal tank is very active at any time of the day. I would go with otos but I have not had the best of luck with them in the past. My water was perfect, I got about 3-4 at a time for each tank, but I think they were sick because they were in a tank with baby neons and a lot of them were dead. My clown loaches are only about 2-3" in length currently. And the CAEs are only about 1.5" each right now. And if I try and trade them in I would have to try and get a hold of the fish manager at the local Petland because they are the only ones that have a large enough tank for the loach, CAE and shark. One quick question, would a bristlenose pleco do the same thing as a scavenger cat and the CAE.

I'm glad I found this site one day when I was bored.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Oh and for the cory cats would I be better off getting uside down cat(s) instead?
Tom

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

One bristlenose would be perfect for your tank. It will take care of any algae and any food that drops to the bottom of teh tank but you will have to feed it veggies(zucchini,cucumber etc) about once or twice a week also.
Carol

boff

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Hi Tomh ,am i right that you are getting to get rid of your clown loach and cae's ,so it will just leave you 1 angel fish.I have some ideas but want to make sure what is going to be in there first so i don't suggest any thing that will over stock your tank .When you say 27gal is that US gal or are Canadian gallons the same as UK gallons .Boff.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

boff- It is 27 US gal.And what I meant by getting rid of, is that when they are to big I will replace them for smaller ones.

Butterfly- Thanks. Could the veggies be home grown or do they have to be store bought? Would the pleco do OK with the CAE in my 27 gal too or should I move them over to my 33gal? Or would they be too aggressive to one another? What about the UDC (upside down cat)? Should I get them for my tanks when I remove my shark?
Tom

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

And 'obusweetT' (a new member) had this site under his question and I thought it might go good with
Tom

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

In that size tank the Bristlenose needs to be the only bottom feeder you have. Home grown veggies are fin, I feed mine raw.
Carol

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks. Should I get a BN now or should I move the CAE to the 36 gal?
Tom

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

The 36 is overstocked already, putting the algae eater over there will further stress your tank. My advice is to wait until you return/get rid of the all the fish your going to then plan your tank.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Thanks. Would a BN go well with a columbian shark?
Tom

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Butterfly said:
The 36 is overstocked already, putting the algae eater over there will further stress your tank. My advice is to wait until you return/get rid of the all the fish your going to then plan your tank.
Would it be ok if I moved the serpae tetras over to the 27 and the CAEs to the 36 gal?
Tom

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Because I did the calculations of the current fish size and it would equal 42" with the serpae tetras and 33" without them. And should I move the Lemon tetras too or leave them? With the Lemons it equals 33" and without 28.5".
Tom

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom