Reaction score
So in our 28 gallon bowfront
We currently have
1 female betta
2 male guppies
2 green corys
3 long-finned danios

Once the readings are ideal the tank will be getting 2 sterbai corys

We were looking to perhaps getting a butterfly loach? Hillstream loach.. whatever they're called hehe (seen them being sold with a ton of different names).
But not sure if it would be compatable with everything in the tank.

I'm also going to raise a few danio fry to bring their numbers up to 6.

So say I did successfully raise 3 danio fry, and we got the hillstream loach. That would give us about 19 inches of fish in our tank.

What else would you guys put in there if anything? Something common enough to get at a local petstore, but colorful would be nice.
No more guppies though considering our experience with them hasn't been very good.
I'd like something that's active like the danios and how they take advantage of the entire tank, but not something that's going to be nippy or aggressive obviously.

So any suggestions would be awesome!

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
erm...i could be wrong, but i thought bettas attacked fish with long fins such as guppies and long finned danios? maybe its just the males, i'll let someone else confirm or let me know i'm wrong on that. just keep and eye on that for the time being. i'm not sure what else can go with a betta, so cant help you any further either, but sounds like a lovely tank....do we get pictures?
tan

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Bettas do have a reputation for going after guppies and long-finned danios. On occasion, in a larger tank with enough hiding spots, the arrangement can work sometimes.

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
I knew someone was gonna say something...
The betta in there has been absolutely fine. Even if she did want to go after the danios, they're much too fast for her.
And her and the guppies ignore eeachother. Pretty much after the first day she was in the tank, and the guppies realized she wasn't a female guppy, they left her alone. ;D
Anywho.. haven't noticed any aggression and if that changes she'll be coming out.

So anyways.... should we get more fish or not? And if so, any recommandations?

I'll get some updated pics of the tank up heh... it's not looking too pretty right now. All the plants are dieing for some reason.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How about platys or swordtails? you could get 4 males with the room you have left. Any LPS/LFS should have some and they're colorful, fun fish.

Ghost cats would be cool, if you can find some.. zero color tho.

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Not sure if bf likes platys though. Well there were some that were this very nice yellow color that I think he liked.
We'll see

Ghost cats? Sounds sorta familiar but I can't picture what they look like...

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
shollia said:
Not sure if bf likes platys though. Well there were some that were this very nice yellow color that I think he liked.
We'll see

Ghost cats? Sounds sorta familiar but I can't picture what they look like...
The gold twinbar or gold mickey mouse? Ghost cats aka Glass cats are transparent fish and very fun to watch. I found them at petsmart in Denver & wish I could find some here.

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
How about a shoal of bloodfin or rummy nose tetras? They'd be fine in there. They'd school up in the upper to middle portions of the tank and add some color too....

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh are those glass cats the ones that you usually see that have been dyed?
If that is the fish I'm thinking of, I don't think I've ever seen any that haven't been dyed unfortunatly

As for the platys... I think he does like some of them. I personally like the Mickey Mouse ones.. think the pattern is just so cool... but I don't think he likes them much hehe. I'm really not sure which kind he liked... I just know that the ones that always catch his eye are the really intense colored ones.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've never seen the glass cats dyed.. the place i found them at was petsmart and they were naturally clear.

vin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
No, bloodfin and rummy noses are naturally colored....Painted glass cats or painted tetras are the ones they artificially color....

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
vin said:
No, bloodfin and rummy noses are naturally colored....Painted glass cats or painted tetras are the ones they artificially color....
Yea, i've heard of them being colored I don't see a reason for that, with how cool they look naturally.. it's a shame to kill beautiful fish like that. I would prefer them without the color to begin with.

shollia

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well thanks for the suggestions nonetheless!
We're not getting anything right now.
I swear, something always goes wrong with out main tank so it's just not cycling as it should be. SIGH.....
So no more fish until we get it sorted out once and for all.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
shollia said:
Well thanks for the suggestions nonetheless!
We're not getting anything right now.
I swear, something always goes wrong with out main tank so it's just not cycling as it should be. SIGH.....
So no more fish until we get it sorted out once and for all.
That stinks, sorry to hear it. Good luck with getting it cycled.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom