What Other Fish Could I Have With...

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by blake e, Aug 1, 2017.

1. blake e

blake e New Member Member

- 55 gallon tank
    - texas cichlid (fully grown)
    - normal pleco (fully grown)
    - jack Dempsey (fully grown)
    - convict cichlid

not sure if this is overstocked, I'm about to buy all of this from someone who is an experienced aquarium hobbies, coming with all the necessities like the filter and everything. just wondering, could I add any schools of fish with this or no? ..anything else?

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore! :D

Unfortunately you are overstocked with the common pleco alone which need 180 gallons minimum as they reach 2 feet long.

When you get it I would rehome those fish and restock it with fish you want that are suitable for that tank size. We can help you with stocking if you want :)

3. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

a Texas cichlid and Jack Dempsey would require a 75g at the very minimum each IMO.

as stated above a common pleco can get way over a foot long so they require very large tanks , 180g+.

The Convict cichlid is the only fish suitable for the 55g.

4. OP
    OP
    blake e

Oh wow, well this guy I bought it from has it way overstocked then. How would I go about rehoming the fish? I'm suppose to get them tomorrow if the guy is available.

So I should rehome the other 3 and keep the convict...? Would I be able to add another 2 convicts to the tank?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2017
  5. cc328

cc328 Valued Member Member

You can go to a local pet store and ask them if they would be willing to take them (Or even trade you for another fish). That would probably be the easiest way to re-home them.

6. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

That's what I do with one of my LFS, I only get about a 1/3 of the value but its better than nothing.

7. OP
    OP
    blake e

Ah, ight, so how would I go about stocking it then if I got rid of everything?

8. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

You would have loads of options. What sort of fish do you like?

9. OP
    OP
    blake e

Honestly, I'm open to anything. I would like some bottom feeders, maybe a few schools, and maybe a angelfish or two. What type of each would I be able to get and how many? (sorry for the questions but I've been researching a ton and can't find any with my exact combination that I'd like.

I'd either like a few big fish or a bunch of small fish.

10. MelloYello

MelloYello Valued Member Member

It sounds like you enjoy schooling fish, you could get a pretty big school of a whole variety of different schooling fish...

My personal favorites are rummy nose tetras.

11. OP
    OP
    blake e

About how many could I get? And could I maybe have two angelfish as a centerpiece?

Oh and I was thinking about having 5-6 corys in it as well, would that work out?

12. MelloYello

From what I know that would work great! I have never had corries, but I think angels would get along with them fine.

I have seen people keep rummy nose (and other larger tetras) with their angels before, and you could definitely get a large grouping of them.

@TexasDomer knows allot about stocking tanks from what I have seen. They would know how many you could have I bet.

13. OP
    OP
    blake e

Alrighty, thank you, you've helped me a ton, it's greatly appericiated.

14. JesseMoreira06

I would suggest either

2 Anglefish
    2 Pearl Gouramis
    2 German Blue Rams
    10 Diamond Tetras
    10 Lemon Tetras
    12 Sterbai corys or Bronze

or

1 Electric Blue Acara
    1 Rainbow Cichlid
    2 Bolivian Rams
    10 Buenos Aires Tetras
    10 Harlequin Rasboras
    10 Panda or Peperred Corys
    1 Bn Pleco

or

1 Blood Parrot
    8 Bosemani Rainbows
    12 Sterbai or Bronze corys
    3-4 Hippo Catfish
    (If the Blood Parrot isn't terribly aggressive you could add a pair of three spot gouramis)

15. OP
    OP
    blake e

Oh man I love this, thanks so much. Definitely going to use one of these.

16. MelloYello

Wait you can keep gourami's with angel fish!? Omg I may have to follow through with my plan of adding a angel fish to my tank then.

17. JesseMoreira06

absolutely given enough space it would work out fine. How many gallons is your tank?

Pearl Gouramis are pretty peaceful gouramis that reach 5-6" in size , if you have a more aggressive Anglefish then a three spot gourami can handle themself very well also can reach 5-6".

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice