What other equipment do I need in my 29 gallon soon-to-be reef tank.

1. Koolboy2001 Initiate Member

Sorry if I was inactive, but I posted this thread for equipment.

Currently the tank has:

1x Aqua-tech 20-40 hang back filter
    1x Aqua-tech Regent Powerhead
    1x Tetra submersible heater 10-30
    1x already-used Aquatech 30-60 (I am aware that used equipment could be faulty)
    1x glass thermometer

ALL aforementioned equipment was bought new except the 30-60 hang back filter.

Is my equipment appropriate for my future 29 gallon reef? If not, what are some alternative equipment? What other equipment do I need? I want a protein skimmer and I probably want a sump too,but it is in my shed and is bigger than the 29g.

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bumping this up for you.

3. Per Albertsen Initiate Member

Do you have lights?

Besides that... as you also mention, you could add a sump and skimmer. The sump being larger than the display tank in not a problem at all. You could also skip the sump if you wanted.

I think a lot depends on what kind of sand you plan to add and also how much live rock you add. Those two things mean a lot and can save you on the technical equipment/filtration.

Besides that, I would say you are pretty much ready to go. Only advice I can give is keep up with regular maintenance (water changes especially) and do not rush things or overstock.

Thats often more important than the equipment itself. I have seen some very beautiful tanks here in Asia, with very low tech equipment. The key to success is often just good maintenance.

4. Koolboy2001 Initiate Member

I don't have lights, but I will certainly buy some lights. Of course I would get a protein skimmer and I have either a 55 or 75 gallon sump in the shed as aforementioned.

5. Koolboy2001 Initiate Member

BTW I don't even have a hood for lights, but I will buy one too.

6. uncfan Member Member

A small HOB protein skimmer, a glass top and a good light are the only things I see your missing. What size is the power head?

7. Paincoast89 Member Member

A protein skimmer is a good idea

8. JimTheFishGuy Well Known Member Member

If you're going reef, you should also look into powerheads to push water around the tank, as many corals do better in turbulent flowing water.