what other algae eater is good for my tank

Tamara

Valued Member
Reaction score
i get taht red/orange/brown/rusty slime stuff on my walls/plant/heater in my tank and would like to get rid of that.
it's a 10 gallon tank, and it has 7 baby molly fry and an an albino cory catfish
Please?
Thanks!

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi, and welcome to Fish Lore

How long have you had this tank? The "rusty" stuff (probably some form of algae) often accumulates on a tank that is relatively new and most likely still in the process of cycling. It goes away after a while, or you can simply wipe or scratch it off. Or, it could be just regular brown algae if your tank is mature (cycled). The algae eater that you choose should not be large because your tank is small. I think many people on this forum would recommend 2-3 Otos for you. Chickadee knows a lot about them.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That's a relatively new tank, and that's probably the red algae I was talking about. Should go away.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Could also be diatoms which also show up in relatively new tanks. If it is 2-3 Otos would be in heaven and clean it right up for you.
Carol

Tamara

Valued Member
Reaction score
thank you Isabella and Carol, approx. how much does one oto cost?
because 5 of my fish have gone missing in my tank...no bodies or any sign of them have shown,
and don't want sometime if it is expensive, expensive go missing in my tank.
+if you know why/how some of my fish have disapeared it'd be great to know!
thank you.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I paid $1.95 for mine at the LFS and these are some cuties that fortunately were very healthy when I got them. I love them.

Rose

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
algae needs light....... you may have your lights on to long during the day? your tank could be by a window getting its light from there? or it could just be cycling like others have said. take a scrubby pad, the kind used for doing your dishes or cleaning or whatever..... rinse it off real good... and clean your glass on your tank. then try and elimanate some of the light see if that helps. Brian

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom