What Oscars Are These

owaiz
HI please find the of my 2 oscar fishes, lfs said one is albino copper oscar and the other is peacock oscar, but I really don’t know what oscar they are? As when I search by that name online none matches to this .

IMG_3413.JPG

!poogs!

Kalyke
Maybe they are an albino red and a wild type.

LeviS
Albino and tiger Oscar , there are variations in colors but YouTube and google them, there will be plenty of information. I kept them years ago, they get huge. I’ve started to see long fin tiger Oscars now and would love to see an adult one.

THRESHER
Dawn Michele will tell you exactly what Oscars those are.

Dawn Michele
Hello. That is an Albino Oscar & a Tiger Oscar. Beautiful Oscars!!! I hope you have a big tank for them!!!! They get VERY big & messy!!!

THRESHER
See? I knew she would know! I had Tiger Oscars (Red & Black), but never really seen any like those.

Dawn Michele
See? I knew she would know! I had Tiger Oscars (Red & Black), but never really seen any like those.
Thanks Neb!!!

chromedome52
The albino is a Red Albino, solid red color is a dead giveaway. And the other is not a Tiger, the red is too solid, there's no marble pattern. Looks more like a poor red, but there are some unusual variants that can come from that no bar pattern. Oscars have been proving to be rather unpredictable in the patterning since the Reds were first developed. I suspect some hybridizing of the Astronotus species (ocellatus and crassipinnis, as well as several uncertain populations) has also been causing some of the strange variations that are popping up.

owaiz
Hello. That is an Albino Oscar & a Tiger Oscar. Beautiful Oscars!!! I hope you have a big tank for them!!!! They get VERY big & messy!!!

Thank you so much Dawn, I have a 500 litres tank Atm, will upgrade the tank in about 6-8 months time, Coz I have a baby Silver Arowana with them.
IMG_3367.jpgYes they are messy they eat a lot and the spit few back and the debris rolls every where.
IMG_3390.JPG
Image1538202574.232794.jpg

owaiz
The albino is a Red Albino, solid red color is a dead giveaway. And the other is not a Tiger, the red is too solid, there's no marble pattern. Looks more like a poor red, but there are some unusual variants that can come from that no bar pattern. Oscars have been proving to be rather unpredictable in the patterning since the Reds were first developed. I suspect some hybridizing of the Astronotus species (ocellatus and crassipinnis, as well as several uncertain populations) has also been causing some of the strange variations that are popping up.

Thank you chrome, this is a close pic of that oscar I agree with you. But I love them it looks too good in real than in the pic. And he is more clever than the albino Coz he bend his body to pick up a full big dried shrimp in his mouth easily.
Image1538202945.887090.jpg

chromedome52
That color pattern is quite unique for an Oscar. I wonder if someone has been working to establish such a pattern in a stable line. It certainly does look interesting, and the closer photos show that it is not simply an "odd" Red. I will have to start asking around now. I haven't been very involved in the hobby for some time now, so many things have happened that I am only just hearing about. If I should learn anything specific, I will try to bring it back to this thread.

owaiz
It’s kind of black and gold pattern, l heard that you know everything about Fish and your experience is awesome. But hard to hear that you are not much in to this hobby right now. Hope all is well with you. I have a small planted aquarium and this 500 litres one with a baby Aro and 2 oscars, and exploring still in learning stage. Eager to know about your aquarium too.

JB92668
albino tiger oscar if u can breed them wicked if u can sex them cool males are slimer and have a higher dorsal fin and females are smaller and rounder in the tummy and there dorsal fin is shorter hope that help u and nice healthy oscars btw cheers john

chromedome52
albino tiger oscar if u can breed them wicked if u can sex them cool males are slimer and have a higher dorsal fin and females are smaller and rounder in the tummy and there dorsal fin is shorter hope that help u and nice healthy oscars btw cheers john
Unfortunately, the things you mention for sexing are general rules for many Cichlids, but not for Oscars. Males and females have the same finnage, and female Oscars do not get fat in the abdomen like most Cichlid females. Oscars are one of, if not the most difficult Cichlid to try and sex. I've known people who claimed they could sex them by the vents, but I've not seen any proof. Only way to truly sex them is to have them spawn, at which point the question is usually moot. There are some behavioral clues, but even those aren't 100%.

owaiz
Unfortunately, the things you mention for sexing are general rules for many Cichlids, but not for Oscars. Males and females have the same finnage, and female Oscars do not get fat in the abdomen like most Cichlid females. Oscars are one of, if not the most difficult Cichlid to try and sex. I've known people who claimed they could sex them by the vents, but I've not seen any proof. Only way to truly sex them is to have them spawn, at which point the question is usually moot. There are some behavioral clues, but even those aren't 100%.

I read some where don’t know where, that the female oscar keeps cleaning a location which would be suitable for them to lay eggs for some time and lay the eggs on that flat surface and a male oscar if he wish he will fertilise the eggs later. Is it true? And by any chance can this happen in a home Aquarium ?

chromedome52
Oscars are bred in the aquarium fairly often, so long as they have space and the right foods. The female will clean a flat surface for the eggs, usually spending a week or so getting it just right. When she lays a row or two of eggs, the male has to come in right away and fertilize them. If he waits too long the surface of the egg loses the ability to let the sperm in. We're talking a minute or so tops.

JB92668
what I mentioned for sexing oscars has worked for me and a few other breeders but ur right to dosnt all ways work

owaiz
What is this thing in his belly ? Only this Fish is doing it quiet often
IMG_3462.JPG

He started nipping my Arowana so I exchanged him for a small red oscar, shop guy was surprised to see his fish grown too big in just 10 days lol

Dawn Michele
He started nipping my Arowana so I exchanged him for a small red oscar, shop guy was surprised to see his fish grown too big in just 10 days lol
Hi. They do grow fast!!!! Hope everything works out with the Red Tiger.

JB92668
cool oscars are big eatters and they grow fast its to do with there dna

owaiz
Hi. They do grow fast!!!! Hope everything works out with the Red Tiger.

Thank you Michele, Red tiger was my favourite and Iam happy for him he is doing good, small guy. Don’t have a proper pic tried turning on the light a new and a small
Clown loach got panicked so turned it off, when I introduce him,a big oscar was behind him
IMG_3555.JPG

cool oscars are big eatters and they grow fast its to do with there dna

Hey Jon you are very right they eat soooo much I really wondered what a species he is, and they make a complete mess. To clean that I introduced a clown loach in the aquarium.

Nikki2577
Did the Oscar beat up your severum too or is that just the pictures?

JB92668
your welcome mate u shoud get a pair of bristle nose to clean up the messs

owaiz
Did the Oscar beat up your severum too or is that just the pictures?

When my friend gave me he was like that only, he said the Fish is stressed in couple of days he will look better. But he got lot of white spots all over his body, I removed him from tank and introduced a small green severum shop looks very cute
IMG_3570.JPG
IMG_3561.JPG

IMG_3573.JPG

your welcome mate u shoud get a pair of bristle nose to clean up the messs

Sounds interesting but I was thinking of 3 clown loaches, which one will be more helpful? This tiny CL that I can introduced was very much alive and happy this evening he was avoiding the oscars slow approach other wise he was nice and active, but now he is not visible don’t know what happened to him

Thank you Michele, Red tiger was my favourite and Iam happy for him he is doing good, small guy. Don’t have a proper pic tried turning on the light a new and a small
Clown loach got panicked so turned it off, when I introduce him,a big oscar was behind him View attachment 488818

Hey Jon you are very right they eat soooo much I really wondered what a species he is, and they make a complete mess. To clean that I introduced a clown loach in the aquarium.

IMG_3593.JPG
IMG_3594.JPG

Nikki2577
When my friend gave me he was like that only, he said the Fish is stressed in couple of days he will look better. But he got lot of white spots all over his body, I removed him from tank and introduced a small green severum shop looks very cute View attachment 489148View attachment 489149

He is adorable He looks just like my baby Severums! Did the one with the white on his fins get better?

owaiz
Thank you, he is getting better, will do Water change and check tomorrow. You are coming up with a bigger tank right? What fishes you are planning in it ?

He is adorable He looks just like my baby Severums! Did the one with the white on his fins get better?

So you breed severums, awesome.

Nikki2577
So you breed severums, awesome.

It wasn’t intentional but yes it happened I got about 200 fry out of it! Lol I had to give away most of them to the LFS.

owaiz
It wasn’t intentional but yes it happened I got about 200 fry out of it! Lol I had to give away most of them to the LFS.

Wow 200 fry omg great job, do the lfs give you anything in return ? Like some other fish or plants or accessories?

Nikki2577
Wow 200 fry omg great job, do the lfs give you anything in return ? Like some other fish or plants or accessories?

They have me on the list for a large pleco and I will get that for free and I am sure if I asked for other fish I would get those for free also.

It was amazing that many survived, it’s a community tank! Lol everyone said nope you don’t have to worry about babies, they will get eaten! Nope the parents were relentless! Lol

owaiz
They have me on the list for a large pleco and I will get that for free and I am sure if I asked for other fish I would get those for free also.

It was amazing that many survived, it’s a community tank! Lol everyone said nope you don’t have to worry about babies, they will get eaten! Nope the parents were relentless! Lol

Lol So lovely, wish you good luck. Your fishes are very friendly too I guess lol, Waiting to see you 210G tank soon. Have you posted your tank pic in any gallery here ?

Nikki2577
I have posted it somewhere but I will post it on this thread so you don’t have to search around for it

I had two Green Terrors that I believe got a few and one that was about and inch in size and then the Green Terrors had to go! Lol The severum babies were my first cichlid frys to get past tint free swimmers. I really have no idea how that many survived, I have 3 Blood parrots and catfish in there! Lucky little babies to have parents that observant and protective

IMG_1113.jpg
Sorry for the glare I am not much of a photographer. Lol

owaiz
View attachment 489862

It’s so nice, you have big tree in the middle wow lol, saw the parent severum and his children what a view, it’s really so nice to see fishes protecting their fry, I had only seen a hen protecting their chickens lol. The baby severum looks exactly like my severum , earlier you said that right. Thank for sharing.
What filter and lights you have. My light is broke planing to buy a 16 watt 4 feet led light for it. And I have to buy a sun sun 304b canister filter soon, Coz presently I have a internal filter.

IMG_3656.JPGthis Fish body colour keeps changing, is this a red tiger oscar or something else? Here in lfs they say anything we can’t trust

View attachment 489862

HI that was so nice of you to share a pic, really I hate to search where the s are lovely tank waiting to learn more from you

Nikki2577
It’s so nice, you have big tree in the middle wow lol, saw the parent severum and his children what a view, it’s really so nice to see fishes protecting their fry, I had only seen a hen protecting their chickens lol. The baby severum looks exactly like my severum , earlier you said that right. Thank for sharing.
What filter and lights you have. My light is broke planing to buy a 16 watt 4 feet led light for it. And I have to buy a sun sun 304b canister filter soon, Coz presently I have a internal filter.

Thank you! I love my tree in the tank but it’s not real! Lol it’s the same stuff the background is made of.

That’s the female Severum you see in the pictures. I think I told you the male passed away I did say that your Severum looks like my babies It is fascinating to watch the whole process of spawning, eggs, free swimmers and to what they are now but super hard to give them away because I know they won’t all get good homes I would do it again because it was very hard on the other fish in the tank, the parents were very mean so for quite a while all my other fish hid. I am happy that my tank is back to normal!

I have a 40 gallon wet/dry sump with bioballs and prefilter floss and an FX6 canister. Seems to be a great system. I will have to see if I can find what the lights are I just remember they were pricey.

owaiz
Iam sorry for your male severum hope you get a good one again. I know how fascinating it is, I wish I can do it in my tank too. But you can’t keep them all anyways, so one day you have to give them away. Good your tank is now normal.
You tank seems very hI fI too you spent a lot of money in there right. I am ready to spend for my tank too but my wife doesn’t like it so I control my expenses on my tank. Soon I should get a good filter

Nikki2577
Iam sorry for your male severum hope you get a good one again. I know how fascinating it is, I wish I can do it in my tank too. But you can’t keep them all anyways, so one day you have to give them away. Good your tank is now normal.
You tank seems very hI fI too you spent a lot of money in there right. I am ready to spend for my tank too but my wife doesn’t like it so I control my expenses on my tank. Soon I should get a good filter

It was pricey over all but the whole hobby is lol I have some babies so I hope one turns out like the father I have several to choose from so I will get one that’s close.

Nikki2577
Beautiful Tank can I ask where you got the background?

Thank you very much The background is from Universal Rocks. I think it is called the Texas wall. I believe the tree was from the same place but I am not a hundred % because I got that second hand.

LexiNicoleAKAFishAddict
looks like an albino and maybe a tiger oscar with very little color?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views
OscarHoya
Replies
Views
TClare
Replies
Views