What order?

Simonr

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello my name is Simon. I've been keeping fish for about 8 months. I'm currently running a tetratech ex1200 on my tank. I want to change the media to alphagrog but I'm unsure which of the current media to replace.

Top tray Purigen and floss

Foam

Scrubbie balls

Bottom Ceramic rings

Thanks for any help guys.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning and Welcome to Fish Lore!

Keep in mind that the filter media houses your beneficial bacteria needed to sustain the tanks cycle. Removing and or replacing the media will remove this bacteria and may create a mini cycle with increased ammonia levels.

I would recommend that you drop the new filter media into the tank and leave there for 1 month so that it can seed itself with more beneficial bacteria. After the month is up, then you can add it into your filter. This will help to preserve the bacteria that the tank needs.

I'm not familiar with this product: alphagrog

What is its purpose?

starhanging.gif If you would be so kind, please complete your Aquarium Profile Information. This information will aid others with any responses they may have to your questions.

To access the Profile, click on Forum Actions in the bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box, click on Edit Profile. Be sure to hit SAVE when you are done.

Thanks! I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken

Tonia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome Simon!!

I have never used alphagrog, but from looking it up on a search, I see that it's a volcanic rock filter media often mentioned in use with koi ponds, but I see that it could be quite beneficial to almost any tank.

The only down side was a comment to make sure you wear gloves when using this media as the rocks can be quite sharp and cut your hands.

If you change over, I would follow Ken's advice and allow the media to get seeded with beneficial bacteria before changing over completely.

Nice meeting you Simon!!!

Simonr

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for the replies guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

oscarsbud

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't know anything about that type of media, just wanted to say hi and that I like the look of your tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom