What Order To Add New Fish

Leon the Neon

HI all, I've been reading a lot of advice on this site but I can't find an answer to my question:
We're just about to buy a new tank - Tetra aquaart explorer, 60L or 15 US gallons.

I'd like to stock it with:
6 x neon tetra
3 or 4 pygmy cory
1 or 2 gourami.

Once the tank is cycled, in what order do we add the fish? I've read neon tetra prefer a more established tank so gourami or cory first?

Can you confirm I should wait 2 weeks before adding the next? Is 6 tetra too many to add in one go? LFS sells singly or x 6.

Also, when I'm cycling, when do I add the seeded gravel from my friend's tank?

Thanks in advance!

kylo ren

you add the seeded media straight away, don’t let it dry out,

what’s your ammonia source for cycling

6 tetras at once is okay, they are small and have a small bioload

I would add the gourami first because they are the hardiest out of those fish listed, but when adding new fish make sure you change the decor around so that the gourami will be less territorial

make sure you get your fish from somewhere reliable where all the fish in all the tanks look healthy

Initiate

Wether dwarf or normal gourami the tank is too small for them. I hope mine in a 35g and I sometimes think its too small, they are very active fish. I know people say they can be kept in 15 gallons but I believe otherwise. I would add the neons first because they can be quarantined before adding the cories

OnTheFly

Neons would not be the first fish I add to any new tank. Most stocks seem to be a lot more delicate than most other species.

JenC

A benefit of fishless cycling is that you don't have to add fish gradually. You can build bacteria colonies to your target level so they can handle the expected total bioload.

So then it comes down to territorial fish, fish better placed in established tanks, and how you'll QT your stock if you add fish in stages. (If you add new fish all together you don't need to QT as your main tank IS your QT.)

AustinE

A bit small for a gourami, but if you insist on putting them in, definitely no more than one.

JamieXPXP

HI all, I've been reading a lot of advice on this site but I can't find an answer to my question:
We're just about to buy a new tank - Tetra aquaart explorer, 60L or 15 US gallons.

I'd like to stock it with:
6 x neon tetra
3 or 4 pygmy cory
1 or 2 gourami.

Once the tank is cycled, in what order do we add the fish? I've read neon tetra prefer a more established tank so gourami or cory first?

Can you confirm I should wait 2 weeks before adding the next? Is 6 tetra too many to add in one go? LFS sells singly or x 6.

Also, when I'm cycling, when do I add the seeded gravel from my friend's tank?

Thanks in advance!
that's too small for gourami

Leon the Neon

Thanks for the replies.
I'm will cycle with 9.5% household ammonia (from the £ shop / dollar store).
Would guppies be more suitable than a honey gourami then, and if si, how many (males only).

kylo ren

2 or 3 males would be okay

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Debbie1986
Replies
Views
kallililly1973
Replies
Views
LostInFishTranslation