What Order Should I Add These To My New Aquarium?

Baron4fish

For a group project on animal management, we are creating a community aquarium. We would like to add 2 guppies, 5 neon tetras, 4 long finned danios, 2 cory catfish, 2 shrimp, and 1 mystery snail in a planted 20 gallon tank. I have a few questions that I can't seem to find by just searching google.
1) We tried to follow the 1in of fish per gallon, but we didn't include the shrimp or snail in the count. Do they need to be included/ do we have too many fish?
2) I know only a couple fish should be added to begin with and algae eaters should be added later after the tank is more established. But what about the middle? What order should I add the fish?
3) As far as I could tell, these fish will get along. Will the catfish eat the shrimp?
4) Is the amount of algae eaters ok, or will I need to supplement their food?

Any information or help you could give me would be great. I want all the fish to be happy and healthy, but I'm really a beginner. The most I've had is a single betta and a snail in a 5gal tank.
Thank you.

CaptainAquatics

Hi! Ima awnser this in order.

1: The inch per gallon ”rule” is very flawed and should almost never be followed. I think for a 20 gallon your stocking if fine, however I would cut 1 danio out and instead put in one more Cory cat. Cory cats need to be in large schools.

2: yes only a couple fish should be added at first after a several week cycling process. I hope you know about the nitrogen cycle. It is typically good to add the algae eaters a little later so that algae can grow, however I hope you know that “algae eaters” need to be fed as well.

3: here is the order I would do:
- danios
- guppies
- snails
- shrimp
- neon tetras
- Cory catfish

4: I think that the compatibility is fine as long as you have hidding places. The catfish won’t bother the shrimp or snail. Danios can be a bit aggressive but if you have three of them and hidding places you will be fine.

5: you have a good amount of algae eaters, even if you only had 1 you would still need to feed it. So yes, feed them.

If you have any questions let me know

AJE

For a group project on animal management, we are creating a community aquarium. We would like to add 2 guppies, 5 neon tetras, 4 long finned danios, 2 cory catfish, 2 shrimp, and 1 mystery snail in a planted 20 gallon tank. I have a few questions that I can't seem to find by just searching google.
1) We tried to follow the 1in of fish per gallon, but we didn't include the shrimp or snail in the count. Do they need to be included/ do we have too many fish?
2) I know only a couple fish should be added to begin with and algae eaters should be added later after the tank is more established. But what about the middle? What order should I add the fish?
3) As far as I could tell, these fish will get along. Will the catfish eat the shrimp?
4) Is the amount of algae eaters ok, or will I need to supplement their food?

Any information or help you could give me would be great. I want all the fish to be happy and healthy, but I'm really a beginner. The most I've had is a single betta and a snail in a 5gal tank.
Thank you.
PLEASE DON’T USE THE INCH PER GALLON RULE!!!! Also neon tetras should be in groups of at least 6, so should the Cory cats: here is how I would stock it: 7 neon tetras 3 male guppies, 6 Cory cats(I think pandas should work DoubleDutch which would work?) what type of shrimp were you thinking? Cory cats won’t eat adult shrimp. I would add the tetras last, and yes you need to feed algae eaters(please get things because you like them don’t expect them to do your job)

CaptainAquatics

Ok, I just looked at your profile and it says that you don’t know about the nitrogen cycle, I am going to explain it. Here it is in the simplest way I can explain it:

The nitrogen cycle is basically what you need to have an aquarium. In any aquarium you need a filter so you can oxygenate and filter out debree in an aquarium. You pretty much have to let an aquarium sit running with no fish in it so that you can build up a bacteria team to break down the most harmful chemical, ammonia, to the less harmful chemical, nitrite, then to the least harmful thing, nitrate, which you then remove via weekely water changes. You do need to change out about 50% of the water weekely. You should also be adding in de-Chlorinator. This process of building a bacteria team takes about a month then you have to slowly add fish, and make sure that you are getting nitrate and almost no bitrite or ammonia. Good luck

PLEASE DON’T USE THE INCH PER GALLON RULE!!!! Also neon tetras should be in groups of at least 6, so should the Cory cats: here is how I would stock it: 7 neon tetras 3 male guppies, 6 Cory cats(I think pandas should work DoubleDutch which would work?) what type of shrimp were you thinking? Cory cats won’t eat adult shrimp. I would add the tetras last, and yes you need to feed algae eaters(please get things because you like them don’t expect them to do your job)

I completely agree, however I think you could do this stocking:

- 3 danios
- 3 Cory cats
- 5 neon tetras
- 4 ghost shrimp
- 1 mystery snail

AJE

I completely agree, however I think you could do this stocking:

- 3 danios
- 3 Cory cats
- 5 neon tetras
- 4 ghost shrimp
- 1 mystery snail
I cut out the danios because both the Cory cats and tetras will do much better in larger numbers. Also what is op considering algae eaters?

CaptainAquatics

I cut out the danios because both the Cory cats and tetras will do much better in larger numbers. Also what is op considering algae eaters?

I would agree with the danios now that I think about it. I think the OP is thinking the Cory cats are algae eaters, I could be wrong.

Baron4fish

Thank you all. I will talk with my group about changing the stocking and since it is a semester long we will have plenty of time to let the tank cycle and slowly add fish. We were thinking a blue and a red shrimp. Everything we picked for the tank we liked, not just wanted for a purpose. How often do you test the water? I was thinking we would test the water once a week.

CaptainAquatics

Thank you all. I will talk with my group about changing the stocking and since it is a semester long we will have plenty of time to let the tank cycle and slowly add fish. We were thinking a blue and a red shrimp. Everything we picked for the tank we liked, not just wanted for a purpose. How often do you test the water? I was thinking we would test the water once a week.

Once or twice a week will work for water testing.

Guanchy

hello and welcome!

I think you got great help from everyone else so I won't add much but I would personally leave the shrimps out. Shrimps are very sensitive to water parameters and I personally won't recommend them for beginners. I also think they should be added to well stablished tanks with lots of algae.

why not find a centerpiece fish and then build the stocking around it? Just an idea

ask away if you have any other concerns

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
abijitto
Replies
Views
kylo ren
Replies
Views
BluMan1914
Replies