What order should I add fish?

saddlebagsoph

Reaction score
Hi! I have recently started a 35-gallon tank and it has just finished cycling. I am at 0 ammonia and nitrites and 5 ppm nitrates. I already have two male guppies in the tank and have an idea for what I want to end up with but I am not sure what order to add fish...

I would like to add a BN pleco, 6 corys, ~10 neon tetras and perhaps some centerpiece fish if it does not seem too crowded. I am thinking I should add the BN pleco first as I have some serious white gunk growing on my driftwood that I think they would take care of. Would it be ok to start with the BN Pleco or should I add the corys first since they are smaller?

Also, I am about due for a water change. Should I change before or after I add the fish? I saw somewhere plecos make a lot of waste, especially after feasting on driftwood gunk so I was thinking I could wait for that poop storm to avoid an extra water change (if it is actually a thing). If I change it after it would be a day or two after I add them.
Thanks!

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
None of the fishes you mentioned 'cept perhaps the guppies are aggressive so the order doesn't matter; the center piece should probably be added last since it is most likely to be aggressive. The reason to add aggressive fishes last is they are likely to treat new fishes are intruders but existing fishes have a better chance of being ignored.
-
Depends on a lot - if the tank has been sitting stale for months by all means do a water change. If you are saying you need a water change because it has been 7 days and everyone sez you should change the water every 7 days - ignore them.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I will respectively disagree with jake37. There is very little likelihood that neon tetras will be aggressive, especially with 10 of them in the tank. Some tetras do have a reputation of being fin-nippers if kept single or in very small groups, but I've never heard of or seen that regarding neons.

I'd add the neons first, and the corys last.

faydout

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
JettsPapa said:
There is very little likelihood that neon tetras will be aggressive
Maybe not aggressive in the sense we usually think, but I had noticed, especially when my cichlids were smaller (about the same length as my tetras), that the shear numbers of tetras would outcompete and steal food from the Keyholes. That's obviously all changed now that Alfraed and crew are bigger, but I can see the "aggressive" thing. ****, I still call my lemons (very different type of tetra from neons) mini piranhas.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Huh? I said all his fishes 'cept maybe the center piece are non-aggressive so the order doesn't matter. I did note that male guppies can sometime be aggressive when new fishes are added but not often.

JettsPapa said:
I will respectively disagree with jake37. There is very little likelihood that neon tetras will be aggressive, especially with 10 of them in the tank. Some tetras do have a reputation of being fin-nippers if kept single or in very small groups, but I've never heard of or seen that regarding neons.

I'd add the neons first, and the corys last.

FitSoldier

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have not seen or heard of aggression from Guppies or other community fish etc even in the 1 year I had a peaceful planted community tank. Frankly, I don't even think most Cichlids are that aggressive. To me, a fish that's "aggressive" will go out of its way to try to attack and kill another fish. If they are just, for example, chasing each other a little bit, that isn't aggression in my opinion. Furthermore, if the fish are healthy, and they fight, they should recover from any busted lips or nipped fins no problem (assuming the fish you're getting is healthy).

As for order, you can make the decision yourself. Doesn't really matter that much in my opinion.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Guppies can be aggressive when they have been alone for a long time and you add a new fish to their tank. They er reject the intruder. It isn't frequent but it does happen.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jake37 said:
Huh? I said all his fishes 'cept maybe the center piece are non-aggressive so the order doesn't matter. I did note that male guppies can sometime be aggressive when new fishes are added but not often.
Apparently I misunderstood, and I apologize.

New Threads