What Order For Plants/fish?

1. Gilly

Gilly Valued Member Member

So I'm starting a 56 gallon tank. It will be planted, although I have NO idea yet on what plants I want nor fish, but I'm curious to know if there is a suggested "waiting" period between fish introduction and plant introduction. Should the plants be put in first? I will likely be adding many more down the road. And if the plants are to be planted before fish are introduced, should I wait any period of time in between? Thanks!

2. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazon Well Known Member Member

You can plant your plants while your tank is cycling. I find that to be really useful since you can move plants around without worrying about disturbing the fish. :) You can add your fish once your tank is cycled.

3. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

You can add plants as you get them. Keep in mind that most fish appreciate some cover, so having plants in place will make their introduction more comfortable. Also keep in mind that small plants, or plants that need to being anchored to things might appreciate not being jostled about by rambunctious fish.

So the answer is plant some, stock some, plant some more. Repeat as necessary.

4. jmaldo

jmaldo Well Known Member Member

5. OP
    OP
    Gilly

Awesome, thank you. That makes it easier on the budget as well.

6. Lance0414

Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

I would add Plants first so they have time to grow and make a hiding place for the fish. What Theme are you going to do(Random Decorations, Amazonian, African Lake, Asian, ETC.), If you want Plant and Fish stocks we would gladly give you some.

7. OP
    OP
    Gilly

I want to do a theme that incorporates a lot of ground cover up front but a lot of tall plants in the back. It's 56 gallons but the footprint is 18 inch by 30 inch. What would an Asian theme be like? Its been so long since I have had a tank, let alone a planted one.

8. Lance0414

Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

How about these plants for a Asian theme- Water Wisteria, Java Fern, Java Moss, Dwarf Hairgrass, Cryptocorne, Vallisneria, Lucky Bamboo, and Dwarf Lily. For Asian Fish- Danios, Gouramis, Ninja + Bumblebee Goby, Barbs, RTS + Rainbow Shark, Glass Catfish, Asian Stone Catfish, and Bettas. Asian Themes are usually a sand hill with a peace of driftwood poking over the hill with wide-leafed plants surrounding the driftwood and then narrow leafed plants at the bottom of a hill. Here is Practical Fish Keepings Asian Themed Tank
    How to keep Dwarf puffer fish

9. OP
    OP
    Gilly

I like quite a few of those plants. Im going to hold off on fish for now. You mentioned being able to help with stock with plants though?