15 Gallon Tank What Order Add Life To My Tank? Need Stocking Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zer0eviL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey all, need to pick your brains a little.. I bought a Fluval Flex 15 tank. Plan is to end up with a pretty standard planted tank.

My planned inhabitants:
Fancy Guppies
Corydoras cats
Shrimp
Snail
Java Moss
Moriamo Moss Balls

What I bought so far, in addition to the tank:
Eco-complete planted substrate
Seachem Prime and Seachem Stability
Tetra test strips
Tetra air pump
Clear tubing

I'm not sure what order to add things in, or in what amount to keep ammonia spikes away.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have you considered cycling fishless?
Usually stocking starts with most peaceful creature first but I would not want to cycle with shrimp ..
If you cycled fishless you could add all life at same time or atleast much closer together .

Zer0eviL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Have you considered cycling fishless?
Usually stocking starts with most peaceful creature first but I would not want to cycle with shrimp ..
If you cycled fishless you could add all life at same time or atleast much closer together .
Well I was going to put the substrate in and the add a cap of each bottle to the water and let it sit and run for the next few weeks.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You should do that and added ammonia.
The ammonia will add food for the bacteria to grow from.
The bottled products will do little without food from fish [waste] or added ammonia towards cycling.
Here is how I have learned to cycle as quickly as possible .
Add ammonia [from hardware store with NO SURFACTANTS ] until your tank is between 3-4 PPM[use your test which you may want to upgrade to liquid master kit ?].Count how many drops you use to reach this level.
Add same number of drops daily until NitrItes show . This could be a week or so ?
Then reduce the amount of ammonia added by 1/2 daily. Keep testing daily for both ammonia and nitrites.
When both ammonia and nitrItes are zero and you have detectable nitrAtes you do a water change to get nitrAtes down to 10-20 ppm and you are ready to go !

Last edited:

Zer0eviL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay I will do that.

What do think about how many critters will fit in it safely, after it's done cycling of course.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Small cories like pygmy could be kept in decent group of 5-6 I would think.
For the gups I would get the best male you can choose and 3-4 girls for him unless you do not want babies in which then just get all males.
I would add shrimp first so they can find hides and adjust to tank before all the activity starts .

Zer0eviL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the tips.

I have a bottle of Lemon Ammonia cleaner under my kitchen sink.. I'm guessing this is not the kind of ammonia that will work?

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks for the tips.

I have a bottle of Lemon Ammonia cleaner under my kitchen sink.. I'm guessing this is not the kind of ammonia that will work?
Correct. For cycling you need "clear" ammonia that has no additives.

Fishless cycling can vary in time on the method and effort used. 7 days (some have done it in less) all the way out to a couple of months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom