What one?

Discussion in 'Catfish' started by Jake the Fish, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Jake the Fish

Jake the FishValued MemberMember

As most of you know I've set up my new 43 gallon tank. It's cycled. I've added three fish so far. I know which cichlids I want to get except I don't know which catfish to get! I was thinking a pleco, but it would outgrow my tank. I was thinking of getting a peppermint pleco, but it was too expensive. I wanted to get a synodontis eupterus but it would get too big. Aquarist48 suggested some cories, but the cichlids would destroy them. What catfish would be suitable for my tank?!

I was thinking of Pictus Catfish but they don't sell any near me.

2. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

I love my bristlenose catfish, they're very cool to watch, but again, they may end up outgrowing the tank.

Maybe oto's? a little school of 5 or more could be interesting.....

Zebra pleco's look good, but may not do to well with cichlids :;dk

3. NMfishman

NMfishmanWell Known MemberMember

I would say pictus catfish, I love mine, but if you can't get them then the bristlenose pleco should do well. The bn should not get bigger then 6 inches. You should get some driftwood for him, he only needs a little to chew on. Hopefully you can get the bristlenose, because they do not sell them where I live :(

4. OP
    OP
    Jake the Fish

Jake the FishValued MemberMember

They have plenty of bn at my LFS but they are all baby ones. I do have a piece of driftwood as I was planning on getting at least 1 Pleco (not a common, just any type).

5. claudicles

claudiclesWell Known MemberMember

One good thing about Australian fish shops - plenty of BNC. A guy near me in North Richmond has a great variety of cat fish that I haven't seen anywhere else. I can't remember exactly what he has because I only recognised the ones I've seen a lot but maybe you could give him a call and see what he has. He cetainly has some cool fish. Dang it, I can't remember the name and I can't find it in the yellow pages. Let me know if you are interested and I will chase it.

6. claudicles

claudiclesWell Known MemberMember

Jake, I saw Pictus catfish in Petbarn on the weekend. They are all over the place in Sydney and they all seem to have the same stock so you should be able to find them if you are still interested.

7. harpua2002

harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

You don't need a catfish with African cichlids, and IMO, anything but a synodontis species is really hit or miss anyway. I'd suggest a Mag Float in addition to the cichlids and leave it at that, JMO.

8. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Ryanr - i wouldnt put a $200 pleco in a tank of african cichlids, but thats just me :)

9. Elodea

ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

I think Harpua has a great idea. Some larger Synos may actually be living with AF cichlids in the wild, but only see them occasionally. I would advise add a lot of hiding spots that the cichlids can't get to, but, as Harpua said, make sure to have a backup plan ready if this wouldn't work.