What On Earth Is This?

1. MatthewContri

MatthewContri New Member Member

In my 4g invert tank I spotted these 2 perfectly round semi clear orbs attached to my Windelov and my christmas moss. The only inhabitants within the tanks are my Fire Red Shrimp, 3 Lampeye Killis (I believe they are norman's as they are super tiny) and Nerite snails.

I know they are NOT snail eggs, as the Nerite eggs are on the glass and are more white and oblong.

Any ideas?
    20180409_201344.jpg 20180409_201644.jpg

2. Five 97

Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Killi eggs are typically round and clearish. Does the size comparison match?

3. OP
    OP
    MatthewContri

I guess so, but only 2? And in different parts of the tank (of course it is a tiny tank so the distance isnt to far.

4. Five 97

Definitely. As you mentioned, it's a tiny tank and killifish are prone to eating their own eggs. Even if they miss some of the eggs, if you leave them to hatch, it's nearly inevitable for the adult fish to find them and eat them, especially in such a small tank.

5. OP
    OP
    MatthewContri

just say the following video and they do kind of match the size. I guess I will have to watch those orbs closely to see if anything develops. I didn't even think it was possible to breed killis in such a small tank. Not to mention I thought the killis were still a little young.

HAHA so they won't touch the shrimp juvi's but they will be cannibles? Fish are wierd.

6. Five 97

Cool video. Norman's lampeyes only reach about 1.5" max, but I'll bet they still do predate on new shrimplets. Agreed, fish can be weird, but that natural instinct to go after their own offspring is usually most common in fish that breed easily/often and/or in large numbers. Even with natural predators, some species just need even more predation in order to be kept in check.