What On Earth Is On My Plant?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Cousincat, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Cousincat

CousincatNew MemberMember

Okay so I have a betta in a "quarantine 1.5 ish gallon tank (I know at least 2.5 I'm sorry ;_; but he won't be in there for long I swear) because he's going in a community tank [if he likes it]. Well I just saw this rn and I'm sort of freaking out at this point... I have a pothos plant in with him and that wasn't there when I added the plant... Does anyone know what it is. If no one knows I'm just taking him out cause I don't want anything harming him.

Attached Files:

2. Jenoli42

Jenoli42Well Known MemberMember

those look like eggs of some sort... someone on here will probably be able to identify...

3. Hunter1

Hunter1Well Known MemberMember

Do you have any snails?

I think you will soon.

The ones i’ Seen are white, not pink but they look like snail eggs to me.

4. Wraithen

WraithenFishlore VIPMember

Those appear to be eggs. I'm not sure what they are from though. I thought mystery and apple laid above the waterline. Nerite are definitely ruled out.

5. Jenoli42

Lolz...that's exactly what i thought, but because the eggs are pink i didn't want to guess... prime suspect with live plants and random eggs appearing is snails :)

6. Jenoli42

if it's true about mystery and snail laying above the water line, you may just have answered a question i hadn't posted yet @Wraithen ... so thank you!

anyway, back to the OP's question...do you think it could be ramshorn eggs?

7. Wraithen

WraithenFishlore VIPMember

I've never had ramshorn. I got infested with mts once and never saw any eggs, just an insane amount of eggs after my now 3yo fed a ten gallon with 1 fish an entire new can of flakes.

8. BeanFish

BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

Doesnt look like the egg clusters ramshorns/pond snails leave. Their clusters are oval shaped and pretty hard to destroy/separate as they appear on the photo. I have touched quite a few lol.

Most of the time the eggs are white/yellowish and turn brown when they hatch and develop their shell. Based on that photo I wouldnt say they are snail eggs but I could obviously be wrong.

9. Triston Wasmund

Triston WasmundWell Known MemberMember

Well since its a small tank, you are able to take out the plant and whatever else you have in there and examine it very very closely, correct? Look at every square inch, and see if you find a snail or something of sorts. Give us an update :)

10. OP
    OP
    Cousincat

I'm at a loss guys lol. Ive had this pothos plant for a few weeks and I don't own ANY snails. It seems it was only on this one stem, so I don't have to keep the whole plant out at least. Still have no idea what it is

Attached Files:

11. BeanFish

BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

Yeah thats not snails. I would just take it off and put the stem back in the water again. Goodness knows whats that.

12. Hunter1

Hunter1Well Known MemberMember

After seeing those photos, i’m ruling out snails too.

13. Crapapples

CrapapplesValued MemberMember

Could well be sporangia spores. I don't know a great deal about them but know they are quite often from ferms and part of the growing process

Here's a pic of a land based fern with the spores - if the plant has been housed with a fern at present or beofre you got it, could be that but maybe not LOL. Hard to tell.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2018
  14. OP
    OP
    Cousincat

Wow thats the closest thing Ive seen that matches what was on my plant. I suppose thats possible lol.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  15. Crapapples

CrapapplesValued MemberMember

I could be totally wrong lol, but it looks very similar. I once saw them on a fern by a pond and thought they were something else alike insect eggs but your pics looks identical to the ones I saw - yes, I’d probably throw away also - just in case a load of beetles by h or something lol