What on earth happened to my LPS?

ravenlady13

I went to my LPS (Pet Supplies Plus) today to buy a trio of guppies, as I just lost all but one of mine to New Tank Syndrome. I was rather shocked- literally half the fish in the tank were dead! There were about 10-15 floating at the top, dead and covered in fuzz. Another one was really skinny and just floating head-up through the tank, I thought it was dead until it wiggled! Some of the other live ones looked kind of fuzzy too.

I glanced at some of the other liverbearers, vaguely considering a molly or platy.... dead fish floating, dead fish laying on the bottom.... They're usually so good about care there! I know they were closed yesterday for Christmas, but how could that many fish drop over in one day? There were probably 40-50 dead all told.

I got there about noon and they open at 9, I was amazed they hadn't at least scooped out the dead ones.

I didn't buy any, but should I try to find another store? Could they have gotten a shipment that was carrying an illness and this is just a fluke? I'm pretty shocked, they usually have a great fish section!

ryanr

Maybe they had a power outage
Or possibly a sick fish that spread the disease, many shops run a central filtration system, so spreading disease is not difficult.

Too - you mention New Tank Syndrome. Respectfully, there's no such thing as New Tank Syndrome, it is simply an un-cycled tank

MaximillianL

You mentioned fuzz, I think, but I'm not sure, but it might be a bacterial infection.

Meeps83

Or they could be fuzzy because they've been in there dead for a long time.

ravenlady13

Maybe they had a power outage
Or possibly a sick fish that spread the disease, many shops run a central filtration system, so spreading disease is not difficult.

Too - you mention New Tank Syndrome. Respectfully, there's no such thing as New Tank Syndrome, it is simply an un-cycled tank

Well, my tank finally cycled- and then I lost 9 out of 10, so...... call it what you want, by any name it's upsetting and frustrating.

Corine

Sometimes the problem is with the supplier, or even the shipping company.
The day after we receive a fish order at my store, we loose about 1/4 of them.
Ask when their order day is, and try to go the day before they get an order in, that way all of the fish that had shipping related problems should have passed by then.
It's really unfortunate how disposable fish are to big companies. Really frustrating.

ravenlady13

Well, it's the day after Christmas, so I don't think they'd gotten an order since the last time I was there. They aren't getting another one til January 4th, so I'm kinda iffy about going there in the near future.

badrad

Without trying to second guess everything that could possibly happen, why don't you at least go and ask them what is going on. They could either tell you the truth, and at least regain some credibility, or they could offer some lies or other make up stories, which then you can determine whether they should continue getting your patronage.

But at least see if you can get some answer from them before ramping off a tangent.

ravenlady13

I tried to ask, but the fish guy was just going on break for lunch (definitely not a lie, as he had his coat on) and the 2 other employees I asked just kinda shrugged.

Latest threads

Top Bottom