What Now? 15 Gallon Tank

1. Dylfish2000

Dylfish2000 Valued Member Member

So after doing a water change on my tank and adding dechlorinator I went upstairs to find 12 of my 13 fish dead, including the Nerite snail. The fish that died were serpae tetras, neon tetras, clown pleco, picture cat (gift) and then the snail. The only survivor was a white cloud minnow I’ve had for about a year now. My question is what should I do? The minnows fine and all the plants are healthy, should I add more fish soon? Start over? Tank is 15 gallons and has been running for a few years. (Btw this isn’t the first time this happened, lost six fish a few years back all at once).

2. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

When was the last time you had changed the water?

3. OP
    OP
    Dylfish2000

Before that shot a week or 2 ago (I think, not 100% sure)

4. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

And how much of the water did you change during this water change?

Did you clean the filters/how so?

5. OP
    OP
    Dylfish2000

About 10% I believe, this time didn’t touch the filter, every so often I give the carbon a rinse

6. Niki Rose

Niki Rose Well Known Member Member

Doing water changes weekly is a must especially in smaller aquariums to prevent spikes in ammonia or there being a drastic change in the water, I would do 20% weekly minimum

Would only keep a clown pleco in 20gal minimum

7. OP
    OP
    Dylfish2000

Thank you I know it might be earthly to say this but when is it safe to get new fish? I’m not sure when I should or if I should even bother

8. Niki Rose

Niki Rose Well Known Member Member

Over cleaning a tank could have also been a cause of death, cleaning the filter other than rinsing in tank water can kill beneficial bacteria which causes the ammonia in the water to build up.

I would test your water for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and do water changes every few days until your ammonia and nitrites are at 0 and nitrates 20 or less,
    I would wait at least a week before adding new fish and if you do I would get 5 more white clouds as they prefer to be in schools.