What Now?? Fin Rot Treatment Not Working.

1. Aimless

Aimless New Member Member

After 9 days of 50% WC, inc the initial 100% WC that I did when I first noticed my bettas caudal fin was showing signs of fin rot; with added things like 3 tsp aquarium salt ( added in half increments each WC) , stress coat and vitachem/garlic food soak. My bettas fins went from looking like they were getting better, to suddenly developing a few more holes and even some more small blood spots in different areas after the inital ones healed.
    The caudal fin is where the tear that started this was, which is why it looks worse in the picture. That fin stopped progressing at least.

I'm positive the last 3 days of crazy hot weather may be to blame for the sudden set back. His tank temperature was lowered to 78F when I started treatment to help stop bacteria growth. But the summer heat has it at 82F even with the lid and heater off. I have fans pointing at his tank now. Not that it helps much. (today it's 81.5)

Yesterday (day 9) I upped his aquarium salt to 6 tsp as a last ditch attempt knowing that it's not good to keep them in salt past 10 days. Today I've simply done a 50% WC, added Stress Coat and not added more salt

My question is: Where do I go from here?? Is there something else I can do now that I'm going to have to stop using the salt? I bought myself some API erythromycin. But I don't really want to use it unless I desperately need to. The salt and WCs really seemed to be helping. But I think the seasonal water temp change may have effected progress. He is also quite active and eating just as much as usual. So I keep thinking it's possibly not bad enough of a fin rot issue that I should be giving him the antibiotics.

What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

Okay. @Aimless, take a deep breath and don't panic. My experience is being reactive and panicy is absolutely the worst thing one can do in fish keeping.

First, do you have a test kit and is this a fully cycled tank? What kind of filtration do you have?
    How long have you had this betta? Does he have tank mates? What's his activity like?

On the good side, while your bacteria will bloom faster in a hotter tank your Betta will vastly prefer and be healthier @ 82F than 78F. Also frankly I would prefer to use erythromycin than salt (my favorite fish stores treat everything that comes in with it, it doesn't seem to harm them and they always have healthy fish).

That said your best friend in the battle against betta sickness is almost 100% of the time going to be water changes, water changes and even more water changes. 50% may be too much, as long as you have no ammonia in the water I would scale it back to 25% daily and making sure you're feeding sparingly with really good quality food.

3. OP
    OP
    Aimless

Aimless New Member Member

Thank you for the comfort @Small Tanks ♥. I'm definitely having a panic attack over it. I hate seeing my boy in anything but tip, top condition.

Yes, I have both liquid and test strips.

The tank was cycled, but a too vigorous cleaning crashed it a month or so ago. TSS got the tank showing nitrAtes again, but I fear the constant water changes during this most likely effcted it again. Easy strips daily have shown nothing. (it's a 3Gal)

He has no tank mates.

I have had him for under a year now. I bought him in late fall/nearly winter last year.

His activity has been very consistent and active. In fact, I just did a quick test for ammonia and he leapt out of the water at my hand assuming feeding time had come (he gets fed at 11 am and 5 pm daily, save for Sunday).

I will definitely scale the 50% changes down to 25% then. His diet is varied and nutritious. I have him on an alternating schedule of different Hikari frozen foods (blood worms, spirulina brine shrimp, and mysis shrimp), periodic live food of wingless fruit flys and one dry food that he gets soaked in his usual Garlic/Vitachem mix once every two weeks (fluval bug bites). I'm admittedly a little heavy handed with his food, so I will definitely slow that down while he's sick.

I have the fluval foam filter in preparation for using the Erythromicyn, as well as poly filter for later. If I do use it, it's going to be a bit of trouble dosing such a small tank. But I may just do that if it's more recommended than salt.