Question What Now? 25 Baby Plecos

Bansmo

Valued Member
Reaction score
So I now have 25 common plecos fries that looks like tiny tadpoles. Cuties!!!

However, I don’t have room for 25 of these plecos. (We inherited the pair when we rescued a fish tank)

What do people normally do with fries?
Not McDonalds one that is.

LuckyGourami

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would let the adults eat them. Yes, you could give the fry to a store, but unless the store vets their customers, they will end up living in tanks that are too small for them.

Bansmo

Valued Member
Reaction score
I would let the adults eat them. Yes, you could give the fry to a store, but unless the store vets their customers, they will end up living in tanks that are too small for them.
Yes that’s what I am worried of. I want them to go to a happy home/homes.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Are you sure they are common plecos? I am quite doubtful they are the kind that get over 10in long because common plecos are not a species that readily breeds in captivity. If they are bristlenose plecos finding a petstore to take them shouldn't be too hard. BN plecos are often in demand and usually stay under 6in. Any pictures of the parents to make sure they are indeed BN plecos?

Bansmo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Dad is BN. Mum is .. possibly BN too. See on branch photo
IMG_6233.JPG

Sole teenager survivor from an earlier batch of eggs. 2nd batch of tiny ones are from new batch.
IMG_6236.JPG
IMG_6234.jpg

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So you've got a bunch of BN and the adults do not eat their own young (usually). If you don't want more eggs/fry then separate them. Other than that you can call around to local pet stores and if you can raise them to the 1.5-2in range you should have no trouble getting them off your hands.

LuckyGourami

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yeah, those look like Bristlenose. On the bright side, if they are breeding, you obviously take good care of your fish.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Congrats on the babies! You know you are doing something right when your fish breed for you!

Bad news is...You will be overrun with fry very quickly if you keep the male and female together. Is that something you can deal with? I mean....we are talking the potential for 50+ babies every few weeks!

BN plecos are not the fastest growers. They require at least 2-3 months of grow out before they are big enough to sell or donate to the fish store. And they are MESSY!! they poop just as much as the adults.

For that reason It would be in the best interest of your main tank and its inhabitants to remove the babies and grow them out in a separate tank.

And whether they are in their own tank or not, you should be vaccuming the tank daily.

Bansmo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yeah, those look like Bristlenose. On the bright side, if they are breeding, you obviously take good care of your fish.
Awww your comment just brought a little tear to my eye. can’t help but feel ‘mummy’ proud.
Ok snap back to reality. They are cute. They chase each other around and hug and then chasing again.

Congrats on the babies! You know you are doing something right when your fish breed for you!

Bad news is...You will be overrun with fry very quickly if you keep the male and female together. Is that something you can deal with? I mean....we are talking the potential for 50+ babies every few weeks!

BN plecos are not the fastest growers. They require at least 2-3 months of grow out before they are big enough to sell or donate to the fish store. And they are MESSY!! they poop just as much as the adults.

For that reason It would be in the best interest of your main tank and its inhabitants to remove the babies and grow them out in a separate tank.

And whether they are in their own tank or not, you should be vaccuming the tank daily.
So true...... I have to think of another way to separate them. The babies are in a different tank. I have just a shrimp tank and another with just crayfish.

I have another problem now... my Angels just had eggs on the glass overnight.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom