What Next? Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle' started by Jake the Fish, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Jake the Fish

Jake the Fish Valued Member Member

I have finished cycling my new tank. I used some ornaments and a fake plant from my old tank to help it cycle. It only took 1 week!
    The Tank is only 1 week old and the readings are:

pH- 7.8-8.0ppm (good for cichlids)
    Ammonia-0.00ppm!
    Nitrites-0.00ppm!
    Nitrates- about 0.1 - 0.2ppm

Can I add fish now? I am going to add them slowly (about 3-4 at a time).

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Sorry buddy, but your not cycled. You haven't even begun yet. I say that because at the end of the cycle, there is a measurable amount of nitrate, like 20.

3. OP
    OP
    Jake the Fish

Jaysee, I had a nitrite and Nitrate reading last week. It says in my other thread called I Got My New Tank!!!!!! in post #11.

(the edit was because I forgot to show the readings I got in my other thread)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  4. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

Jaysee is right the nitrate levels should be much higer then that. What did you use to cycle the tank if I might ask?

5. OP
    OP
    Jake the Fish

LOL, it was second sentence in post 1.

6. Jaysee

Oh, well then maybe you are :)

How did you cycle, meaning what did you use to fuel the bacteria growth?

7. OP
    OP
    Jake the Fish

See the post above. :)

I just got stuff from my other tank in other words. ;)

:animal0068:Merged posts.
    Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2010
  8. Jaysee

How long has it been since you put the stuff in the tank? The bacteria dies after 24 hours without a food source, which is why furallicah and I asked how you cycled the tank. Adding the stuff you did would work if you had added something to produce ammonia. The cycle is ongoing and never ends - once the bacteria is there, there must always be food for it.

9. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

10. OP
    OP
    Jake the Fish

I understand the nitrogen cycle Furallicah, I haven't put any food in. Is that a problem?
    I just put the stuff in and let it sit. Also there was a carbon bag in my other tanks filter, could that have done something with the ammonia?

11. Jaysee

sorry buddy, im on a phone...

if the stuff has been in your new tank for more than a day, then it has starved and died.

if you already have a cycled tank running, then transfer some of the media to the new filter. its as simple as that. BUT, the window of opportunity is 24 hours. you MUST add a fish to the tank to keep the cycle going.

12. OP
    OP
    Jake the Fish

Is it still safe to add some fish? Has the cycle finished or not?

13. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning Jake,

Anytime you seed a tank with good bacteria, established filter media, gravel/substrate, fake plants and ornaments, the bacteria has to have a food source. The food source being either fish waste, fish food, or pure ammonia. If you seeded the tank a week ago and didn't add any of the above then chances are the good bacteria has died.

Here are some links that you may find helpful:
    PLEASE remember............
    Four Methods of Fish Less Cycling

When I seed a tank, I use well established filter media and gravel. I always keep spare media in my filters for this purpose. The more established the media is, the better your chances for having an instant cycle. Always be prepared for water changes when seeding a tank just in case your cycle isn't instant. If it isn't instant it will still cut down your cycling time a good deal.

As you know you're cycled when you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and under 20 nitrates. The only time you may not have nitrates is if you have living plants in the tank.

I would also like to add that if you didn't feed the cycle as I mentioned and the bacteria has died off, chances are the nitrates may be coming directly from your tap water. Test your tap water and see what readings you get.

Best of luck!
    Ken

14. OP
    OP
    Jake the Fish

I forgot to add I got the nitrite and nitrate readings from last week a day after I put the ornaments and plant in.

15. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hi Jake. The day after you put in the decor, you would have had bacteria still on them, but since you didn't add a fish at the same time, that bacteria has died off by now. Also, sometimes you can get trace nitrate readings just from your tap water.

I think you have to start the cycling over, this time with a "food source". Sorry for the bad news.

16. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

I agree 100% with meenu; your benificial bacteria have died of starvation... just try again and use a source of ammonia right away. Hang in there.

17. OP
    OP
    Jake the Fish

I still got my THR in my other tank. I will swap the ornaments and fake plant with it and feed the cycle. How long will it take?

18. Prince Powder

Prince Powder Well Known Member Member

If your aquarium info is accurate, you have a 40L that has been established for over a year? If so, I would simply put some of the media from your new filter in your 40L tank and leave it there for about 2 weeks. That will give the media time to seed a bit. Then I would move the media back into your 43G and add a few fish immediately to maintain the cycle. If you want you can also let the media seed, transfer it over then throw in a piece of raw shrimp or raw fish to use as your ammonia source. That would allow your bacteria colony to strengthen considerably before adding fish and with the seeded media your fishless cycle should fly.

19. OP
    OP
    Jake the Fish

I checked my water again. The only changes were the ammonia and nitrates. Ammonia was 0.25ppm and the nitrates were 5. I put the THR in and put some flakes to feed the live bacteria. I also bought a piece of driftwood (cured) and a terracotta pot with a small plant on top. I washed them both before I put them in (without chemicals).

The tap water parameters are-
    pH-7.0
    Ammonia-0.50
    Nitrates-20
    Nitrites-0.00

So the tap water has different water parameters to when I tested the water in the tank the day after I put the ornaments and fake plant in. By these tests I think I've cycled. Am I right?

20. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning Jake,

Your tank is cycled when you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and under 20 nitrates. If your tank is cycled then it should be able to process that small amount of ammonia from your tap.

I'm drawing a complete blank on what THR is ?? :)

Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice