What My Insane Hobby Has Done for Us

1. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

As most of you know, we have over 20 tanks. It's just me and my daughter so I can pretty much do as I please.

My bolivian ram laid eggs on Sunday. I was showing them to my daughter and she told me that she couldn't see them. They looked "fuzzy". So we walked over to my "fry tank" which houses convict (and now JD) fry. She told me she couldn't see them, either.

She then proceeded to tell me that when she was reading, she'd get headaches. This had been going on since around Thanksgiving, but if it wasn't for the fish, (she's 11 years old) there's no telling how long it would've taken her to tell me.

I took her to the eye doctor the following afternoon. It turns out she's far-sighted, so she needed glasses. We've gotten them for her (of course).

Not only has fishkeeping given us something we can "bond over", but it provided a way for my daughter to let me know something was wrong.

Once again, Thank You Fishlore! You all have been instrumental in helping me be a successful fishkeeper, which has been wonderful for our family as well:;hug2

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

what an interesting store, BB...
    It's so neat that fishkeeping is a family bonding experience for you

3. Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Aw, nice! Glad everything's worked out. WOW, over 20 tanks, you must really love water change day lol!

4. redlessi Well Known Member Member

BB, I think its awesome that you share your passion of fish keeping with your daughter. The most I can get from my son is a quick glance at one of the tanks. I am also glad it was something as simple as only needing glasses. I still cant get over the idea of 20+ tanks, WOW

5. click Well Known Member Member

Great story.I think this should be added to the positive list for MTS - it helps detect early eye problems.

6. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks, everyone:;hug2 There's no telling how much longer it would've taken me to find out if it wasn't for the fish.

I do my water changes over a 3 day period, but most of my tanks are bi-weekly due to low stocking=low nitrates. It usually takes me longer to test the tanks than to do the water changes on them.

7. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

That's awesome!. Fishkeeping is such a great hobby and it's great to know that families can bond and learn from each other!!>