What more can I do with my 20 gallon planted tank?

Jhawk117
Hi all, here is my current layout of my 20 gallon planted aquarium! I have been thinking, could y'all offer tips on how I could improve the look? Maybe some new plants, rocks, logs, etc? I was thinking of moving my driftwood over to the left corner of the tank so I could maybe put some nice stones in or something like that. Thoughts? Or should I keep as is?

Attachments

• IMG_3524.jpg
    IMG_3524.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 114

Advertisement
Scintillaa
That's a very nice tank! I agree, adding a couple rocks could really add to the overall effect of it!

Advertisement
YellowGuppy
I'd be tempted to fill up that front left corner a touch. How do you feel about marimo balls? Something dense in there would be nice - though I suppose rocks on that spot would do the trick, too!

Jhawk117
I'd be tempted to fill up that front left corner a touch. How do you feel about marimo balls? Something dense in there would be nice - though I suppose rocks on that spot would do the trick, too!
I don't really find those marimo balls all that attractive, tbh

YellowGuppy
I don't really find those marimo balls all that attractive, tbh
Fair enough! I don't love them either. Perhaps a clump of sußwassertang instead?

Jhawk117
Here is a slight update after I have moved around some things:

unnamed.jpg

The water is a little cloudy now but that will go back down. I was thinking a couple of dragon stones would look nice in that back right corner where those plants currently are. I took out a few plants. Any other thoughts? Is the heater in a good spot next to the filter?

Does that plant on the front right (I'm assuming its some type of amazon sword) look good there? Should I move it somewhere else? I know that they are typically more background plants.

Could I try putting in some carpeting plants to make it look better?

How does my driftwood look turned around like this? I also moved my heater back over to the corner

Attachments

• 9930F88C-BD49-494E-A9DB-EEDF3D6E87E4.jpeg
    9930F88C-BD49-494E-A9DB-EEDF3D6E87E4.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 49

Advertisement

Hugooo
Most carpeting plants need strong lighting and often CO2. I know dwarf sagittaria is one of the easier carpeting plants, but it would still take you a while until they fill in.

Jhawk117

IMG_3542.jpg

Here's an update of the tank! I got 3 new tank mates today, had to sadly get rid of some, unfortunately. I feel like the ground is very bare, what could I do to spice it up a bit? Thoughts?

I feel like this plant could be replaced with some kind of tall plant like an amazon sword?

Attachments

• InkedIMG_3542_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_3542_LI.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 52
Hugooo
You could get some more plants such as hornwort, anubias, java fern, java moss, vallisneria, marimo moss balls, water wisteria, etc. You could also browse through YouTube for inspiration. If you can't get to your LFS or there isn't a specific plant you want, you can order on cheap and reliable places such as Jacob's Aquarium or Aquarium Co-Op, just to name a few. I haven't ordered from either of these but I have heard many good reviews about them. You could also try Amazon or eBay but those aren't as reliable. You can do some Googling for easy-to-grow plants or make a new thread asking for help.

pattersonbear
Hi, quick question, I'm looking at stocking for my 20 and I like how yours looks, what's the stocking? I see platys, guppies, and neons?

Advertisement

Jhawk117
Hi, quick question, I'm looking at stocking for my 20 and I like how yours looks, what's the stocking? I see platys, guppies, and neons?
Yes, I have collection of platys, guppies, neons, and just got two new German blue rams in today! I used to have two swordtails but took them out so I can have in the new rams

jake37
What plant is in the front right corner and did you give it enough room to grow ?

Jhawk117
What plant is in the front right corner and did you give it enough room to grow ?
I believe its some kind of amazon sword, I'm not that good with plant names, tbh. Its been in my tank for a while. Used to be in the back left corner but I moved it to the front

Danny002
I'd add some small slate rocks here and there. A pathway sort or thing or a couple stacks could be cool. I'd put some vals in behind the driftwood and some wisteria or rotala indica on the back "wall" in there. Some anubias here and there could also be cool.

Advertisement

jake37
I was going to say sword but didn't want to embarrass myself. It looks like a 'normal' sword and they can get quite large so i'd give it a little bit of room and put it in the back. Given ample light and root tabs it would easily out grow your tank but with lower light it would probably be fine for a couple of years still it could use a bit of room to expand. The thing is that once it gets established it won't be over joyed to be moved since it has a lot of roots so i'd put it in the back corner with a few inches between it and the glass.

I believe its some kind of amazon sword, I'm not that good with plant names, tbh. Its been in my tank for a while. Used to be in the back left corner but I moved it to the front

Jhawk117
Hey guys, I have an update with my tank! I went by my LFS today and got a few more plants for my tank! Looking quite nice with the added plants. What do you think? I've been thinking some nice red plants thrown in would like nice too. What red plants would look good in here?

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 63
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 66
jake37
Looks nice but that plant crammed in the right front corner has no where to expand (grow); also plants tend to not do well if their leaves are crammed against the glass - not to mention decay matter tends to get trap there over time.

Hey guys, I have an update with my tank! I went by my LFS today and got a few more plants for my tank! Looking quite nice with the added plants. What do you think? I've been thinking some nice red plants thrown in would like nice too. What red plants would look good in here?

Jhawk117
So should I move the plant on the far right a little out farther from the glass?? I'm not really experienced with this sort of "gardening" so any tips would be welcome!

Advertisement

jake37
I would move it some place where it doesn't touch the glass and maybe give it just a tiny bit of room to expand as it grows.

So should I move the plant on the far right a little out farther from the glass?? I'm not really experienced with this sort of "gardening" so any tips would be welcome!

Jhawk117
What kind of red plants would look good in my tank? Want to spice it up a bit

Duriss

Nice tank,
I saw someone who bought one of that thing (the decoration) from my LFS.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
MoshJosh
Replies
Views
Collin Chorba
Replies
Views