What more can I add? 20 Gallon Tank 

Flufeeh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey FL. I've had a 20 gallon tank for about a year now. Right now it has one Betta, 1 fully grown Platy, and 5 err.. teen Platys, they're not fully grown but they're not really young either.

Now, is it possible to get some shrimp/other fish in there? I don't care what kind or size. I'd prefer some shrimp since they look pretty interesting.

The tank right now doesn't have much decor. I have two plastic caves and about 4 plants (all which have a bit of a green algae problem) but tomorrow I'll be buying lots and lots of plants to fill up the back and sides and I'll be getting a bigger focal piece. Thanks.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore Flufeeh.

With a Betta in the tank I wouldn't recommend adding anything. Bettas should really be kept on their own as they don't play nice with others. Your fish will probably make a meal of things like Red Cherry Shrimp so best to give them a miss. Be carefull of adding larger shrimp as some will actually attack & eat fish. Especially the Platy Fry you now have.

In your aquarium info you also have that your Ammonia level is "very low". If there is any reading for ammonia or nitrite at all the tank is not cycled & should not have any fish added to it. I strongly urge you to get the tank cycled properly first for the sake of your fishes health. Plants will help to absorb ammonia.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi, welcome to FL. Great advice from Nutter.

Flufeeh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nutter said:
Welcome to Fishlore Flufeeh.

With a Betta in the tank I wouldn't recommend adding anything. Bettas should really be kept on their own as they don't play nice with others. Your fish will probably make a meal of things like Red Cherry Shrimp so best to give them a miss. Be carefull of adding larger shrimp as some will actually attack & eat fish. Especially the Platy Fry you now have.

In your aquarium info you also have that your Ammonia level is "very low". If there is any reading for ammonia or nitrite at all the tank is not cycled & should not have any fish added to it. I strongly urge you to get the tank cycled properly first for the sake of your fishes health. Plants will help to absorb ammonia.
Hey. The betta I have right now has no problems whatsoever with the current fish, since I introduced it after the platys so I'm not really worried about that.

What I meant by very low, I meant there was none. I thought that there was always some small amount of ammonia in there.

Flufeeh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Elodea said:
That's good then. I would still advise to move the betta into a serparate tank of his own.

Here is a site on housing bettas:

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/mar08/betta-tank-setup.htm
Thanks. My mom loves the Betta and I think a 6g or so tank will be great for her. Although it'll take at least another week before I can buy everything and transfer the Betta. It's been fine for 6 months, I don't think another week will kill it.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It should be fine for the next week or so. The trouble with Bettas is that everything can be fine for many months & then out of the blue everything changes & they start picking on their tank mates or being picked on them selves.

Once you have moved the Betta out you could probably have something like a Dwarf Gourami if you want a centrepiece type fish or you could have a shoal of about 8 Harlequin rasboras or similar sized Tetra.

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I think a 6.6 bookshelf tank would be very good...it's longer than a 10 gallon and rather shallow - gives the betta room to explore.

MindTravel3r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You might want to consider doing a fishless cycle on the new 6 gal. It would probably extend the move out six weeks, but you could transfer the betta into an established tank. I would move a portion of the substrate from the 20 gal and possibly a portion of the filter media. This Thread is sticky note at the top of this form that gives pretty easy to follow instructions:

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree about putting a cutting of the filter media directly into the new filter - it'll speed up the cycling. If you have an extra filter, you can put it on your current tank now, and it will start seeding.

Jake the Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Flufeeh, you may not have realised but I recommended that you put your betta in a separate tank in your other thread.

click

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fishlore Flufeeh! What part of Romania are you from? I was born in Cj.
We would love to see some pics of your tank if you have any.

Enjoy the site!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads