What more can I add? 20 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Flufeeh, Apr 4, 2010.

1. F

Flufeeh Valued Member Member

Hey FL. I've had a 20g tank for about a year now. Right now it has one Betta, 1 fully grown Platy, and 5 err.. teen Platys, they're not fully grown but they're not really young either.

Now, is it possible to get some shrimp/other fish in there? I don't care what kind or size. I'd prefer some shrimp since they look pretty interesting.

The tank right now doesn't have much decor. I have two plastic caves and about 4 plants (all which have a bit of a green algae problem) but tomorrow I'll be buying lots and lots of plants to fill up the back and sides and I'll be getting a bigger focal piece. Thanks. :)

2. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore Flufeeh. :;hi2

With a Betta in the tank I wouldn't recommend adding anything. Bettas should really be kept on thier own as they don't play nice with others. Your fish will probably make a meal of things like Red Cherry Shrimp so best to give them a miss. Be carefull of adding larger shrimp as some will actually attack & eat fish. Especially the Platy Fry you now have.

In your aquarium info you also have that your Ammonia level is "very low". If there is any reading for ammonia or nitrite at all the tank is not cycled & should not have any fish added to it. I strongly urge you to get the tank cycled properly first for the sake of your fishes health. :) Plants will help to absorb ammonia.

3. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Hi, welcome to FL. Great advice from Nutter.

4. OP
    OP
    F

Hey. The betta I have right now has no problems whatsoever with the current fish, since I introduced it after the platys so I'm not really worried about that.

What I meant by very low, I meant there was none. I thought that there was always some small amount of ammonia in there.

5. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

6. OP
    OP
    F

Thanks. My mom loves the Betta and I think a 6g or so tank will be great for her. Although it'll take at least another week before I can buy everything and transfer the Betta. It's been fine for 6 months, I don't think another week will kill it. :)

7. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

It should be fine for the next week or so. The trouble with Bettas is that everything can be fine for many months & then out of the blue everything changes & they start picking on thier tank mates or being picked on them selves.

Once you have moved the Betta out you could probably have something like a Dwarf Gourami if you want a centrepiece type fish or you could have a shoal of about 8 Harlequin rasboras or similar sized Tetra.

8. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

I think a 6.6 bookshelf tank would be very good...it's longer than a 10 gallon and rather shallow - gives the betta room to explore.

9. MindTravel3r

MindTravel3r Valued Member Member

10. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I agree about putting a cutting of the filter media directly into the new filter - it'll speed up the cycling. If you have an extra filter, you can put it on your current tank now, and it will start seeding.

11. Jake the Fish

Jake the Fish Valued Member Member

Flufeeh, you may not have realised but I recommended that you put your betta in a separate tank in your other thread.

12. c

click Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore Flufeeh! What part of Romania are you from? I was born in Cj.
    We would love to see some pics of your tank if you have any.

Enjoy the site!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice