Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

What Money Can't Buy... Pls Help Me Make My Aquascape Less Amateurish :) | Page 2

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by Aleksandra V., Apr 23, 2017.

1. Culprit Fishlore VIP Member

I think it looks like you are going for the dutch style. The dutch style is where you group all your plants... Kind of like a garden. You're basically showing off how well you can grow plants. Your plants are AMAZING that they grow so well!

Look up aquascape styles on line and pick a style that you like. Then draw it out on paper. Look up the golden ratio.

2. JesusIsLove912 Valued Member Member

Better than mine

3. Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Plants look amazing, no doubt you know how to care for them.
    It is however a planted tank, not necessarily an aquascaped tank... (most of mine are planted, not scaped as well, this is not a bad thing)
    I would look into the golden ratio/ rule of thirds as suggested by culprit.
    Maybe also space the ludwigia and alternanthera further from each other.
    I've found the difference between planted and aquascaped is the focal point. (Rule of thirds)
    Most aquascaped tanks are hardscaped (rocks, wood, etc) first, then planted after... to redo a tank backwards is painstaking (trust me I'm in the midst of one now). I've found it best to take out the hardscape from the tank and play around with it (leaving the plants inside tank w consistent lighting ferts co2), you can even cut a piece of cardboard to the size of the tank floor to help with arrangements. Once you are set on your hardscape then the work really begins with removing and relocating the plants... with the hardscape in place it becomes relatively easy to decide the placement of plants.
    Another big difference from a planted tank and a scaped one is the use of negative space. In most scaped tanks you will see "empty" areas.

Not sure if my tank looked that beautiful I would mess around with it, but I get what you are saying. Hope this helps!

4. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

My suggestion is to pick a "theme". I personally would pick a fairytale of some sort. Then you can add a hut or house that goes with it, maybe something that falls in line. That way you have something to draw from. You could even pick a photograph or a country or anything really as your main subject.

5. -Mak- Fishlore VIP Member

Like other said, try to incorporate the rule of thirds a bit more. There's lots of stuff on the right side of the tank, but less on the left, especially the back left corner. The red plants are great focal points but are a little too close together. And the rock to the farthest left looks a bit flat and boring. Try to adjust it so that a more interesting side is showing.

Overall though, this is a gorgeous tank. I wish I could have this kind of healthy growth and balance haha.

6. Lynn78too Well Known Member Member

If you think you have 30 you probably have 60. I say this not to be all know-it-all-y but just because I literally am taking a break from breaking down my tank. I thought it had a dozen of shrimp. Try 30. They are an absolute pain to catch. Get the net right next to them (they're not very smart) and use your finger to guide them in. I took out almost all of my plants except a few plants of the staurogyne repens to keep them in the area. This is the second time I've had to take down a tank with shrimp and leaving the plants vs. taking them all out was so much easier. There will always be more and they will always be growing.

7. Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

What did you decide? Truthfully with a tank that looks so lovely I would have a hard time making changes...

8. Aleksandra V. New Member Member

Finally - that I will leave it be. It is most definitely a planted tank and not an aquascape which I haven't realized before, and as such, indeed it is not bad. To try to redo it into one would not work out, since I've managed to miss almost every aquascape rule there is.

In time, with new tank & way more knowledge, I will try to do it right from the start.

Thank you all for helping me realize I can be happy with it, and especially on behalf of ever increasing population of the tank who'll keep their home which apparently they like just as it is :)

9. AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

I think the first rule of aquascaping is that you like it!

10. McGoo Valued Member Member

I think your tank is very nice, if you're going for a Dutch style I would definitely say you nailed it..:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

11. McGoo Valued Member Member

Looking at the picture I would say you could use a little more light on the left side, just brighten that corner up a bit more. Maybe have the plants in that corner come a little further forward to the viewing face of the tank. That's all I can think of and that's just my opinion, I'm definitely no expert.. great job

12. Aleksandra V. New Member Member

Yup agree, dark plants in a dark corner... Not the best idea :D. Also - I have been doing lately several modifications... Re-planting etc... I will post before and after :)... For now - I can't get a decent picture of the tank at all! (Colors/brightness issue)

13. Fishpuns Valued Member Member

Don't change a thing, your tank is a dream. Very nice plant growth btw

14. NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

It is a beauty, and there is no need to change a thing. There are possible experiments - you could use emptiness a bit - open spaces to add to perspective. A tank always relates to music to me, and a silent break can can make the drum and bass stronger.
    So sometimes removing can be a tool. Sometimes.
    When I see an aquascape, I see temporary beauty. It is hard to maintain the look longterm, and I imagine the work involved makes you be very close to the result, in every detail. You can end up being very hard on yourself when you look at your work.
    The tank's alive and doesn't want to be controlled. If it gets what you call "messy", that means it's thriving. A static, never changing tank would be a biological failure. Yours looks to be a success.