What Money Can't Buy... Pls Help Me Make My Aquascape Less Amateurish :)

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by Aleksandra V., Apr 23, 2017.

1. Aleksandra V.

Aleksandra V.New MemberMember

Hello all,

As headline said - I purchased all the right products and followed instructions to have a healthy and thriving tank, but in the area that I kind of care most - that elusive feeling of an underwater story that a good aquascape gives you, I have miserably failed.

My tank is messy and overgrown although I weekly trim and remove bunch of plants. I tried moving plants/wood around as well but it's still missing something (a 'story' perhaps?)

So, what exactly is wrong with this scape? (apart of buying fish as per my kid's preference :D)
    What would you change?

Tank is 30 gallon one, falling under "high-tech" category.

I'd love to hear your comments, I'm out of ideas, thank you!

Tank #1.jpg

2. Piaelliott

PiaelliottWell Known MemberMember

Seriously? I think there is nothing wrong with your tank, it is beautiful!

3. 2211Nighthawk

2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

Dang... well if you don't like it I'll take it off your hands. :D that looks a heck of a lot better then what mines gonna end up as. I've never tried live plants so it's gonna be interesting.

4. Bettanewb

BettanewbWell Known MemberMember

Absolutely nothing wrong it's gorgeous!!

5. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazonWell Known MemberMember

Very lovely tank! It doesn't look amateurish at all to me!

6. bkaiser3Well Known MemberMember

I wish i could make my live plants look like that. Dont change a thing.

7. VioletSS

VioletSSValued MemberMember

You're doing very well with your plants - I wish mine looked half as good.

The only thing I could suggest is that it's very horizontal. You have horizontal bands going across the width of the tank. They are slightly broken by the round plant to the lower left.

If you want to change the look and add a different kind of interest - you could play with breaking up those bands and have some vertical elements.

8. black4tearsNew MemberMember

Did u mean to make it dutch style or its just happened ?
    Their are different style which have different standard regarding look
    Or this what i think
    By the way as the others say this is a finest aquascape

9. Platylover

PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

I'm going to repeat what other have said and say, it's BEAUTIFUL! But if your not happy with it, don't be afraid to mess around with it and find what makes you happy.:)

10. Lynn78too

Lynn78tooWell Known MemberMember

What I would definitely add, well maybe, uh, gee nothing. Your tank is gorgeous and I thought you were posting a picture of what you wanted your tank to look like. Seriously, it's beautiful.

Post a picture of what you would want your tank to look like so we could have a better idea of what YOU think it's missing because clearly no one else thinks it's missing anything!

11. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsyFishlore VIPMember

I agree with everyone else, it looks spectacular! However if you aren't happy with it, then change it up. But how...isn't that always the question?!

Do you have any ideas as to how you want it to look? Any tanks or photos that stand out to you?

The only thing I see is the far left looks kinda dark and empty, maybe a piece of hardscape, a tall rock or piece of driftwood, could help? But I'm not good at specific styles, so that may mess up what you are going for.

12. Platylover

PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

Now that I think about it, it's primarily green, so maybe you could try to add some other colourful plants?
    Maybe @Silister Trench has some ideas

13. Lynn78too

There's the empty spot in the far left spot. A red plant would look nice there but I'm not sure if it would stay red since it would get less light on the side.

EDIT: Maybe a large rock could go there? One that matches the other rocks that are in there? It would fill the space, give different contrast in color and wouldn't look off having a piece of would sticking up randomly out of nowhere. Plus, I really don't know if the red would stay red and that's always depressing.

14. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Gorgeous!

15. James17

James17Well Known MemberMember

A lot of us wish we could make a tank like that, very nice indeed.

16. FerretladyValued MemberMember

Wow - I think it is absolutely beautiful too!!! But, as others said, what matters most is that YOU are happy with it. *IF* I HAD to change anything - I think some of the suggestions given are good - a little something w/ additional color in that left-side space? Or perhaps, Violet's suggestion? But if that were my tank, I'd keep it as it is & I would be thrilled with it!

Please do post some pics of aquascapes that are especially appealing to *you*, then maybe folks can give you more specific ideas?

(Edit to add) -- if that is an "amateur" aquascape, I can only hope that one day, sometime in the distant future, I can possibly reach 'amateur' status too! :) :) Seriously, that is one gorgeous tank!

17. Lynn78too

I was thinking the same thing. Mine must look like my 6 year old did it! My husband likes it but then again his favorite part of it is the second-hand colosseum!

18. Jonathan1259

Jonathan1259New MemberMember

Hey pal don't stress yourself ,we're only humans and we've all been through the trial and error phase ,to set things off ,remove all plants ,rockwork, and woodwork and other equipment inside the tank ,then trim off all the dead leaves , dying leaves , and trim the roots down ,now if you have driftwood and decide to enhance it with some live plants ,just use some thread to wrap the roots onto the driftwood ,I prefer using the thread because it breaks down within 3-4 weeks ,now for the rocks ,place the lager rocks in the back and smaller ones coming into the the front part of the tank ,try to put a few in randomized order to make it look natural , now add the driftwood and play around with it as much as you like , and finally for the plants ,put plants in a well formatted and organized manner ,for a dynamic aquascape visual appeal , any further questions ,just notify me or any of our fellow Aquarist.

19. OP
    OP
    Aleksandra V.

Thank you all for you kind words of encouragement :))) I do believe I should have posted from the start what in my mind is an ideal aquascape - 2 examples attached - one is dutch style tank (check the video on youtube if you can, it is absolutely AMAZING/unreal)

30 gallon Dutch style.jpg

or - if the "story" is the main idea - it would have to be one of these ("skull island" from the video) or picture below (with that little path leading to ... :D).

ultum-nature-systems-buce-plant-mitered-edge-fish-tank-ultum-clear-uns-5-e1474652982226.jpg

20. OP
    OP
    Aleksandra V.

Also - as a bit of background - I used to love fish keeping (even worked in LFS for a year while I was a student) - but I never had the money at the time to buy the really good equipment - but now, 20 years later when I picked on my old love again - 1) the hobby literally exploded vs. what I knew then and 2) finally (!) I have the means to purchase what my heart desires :D

So, I would definitely start the tank from scratch and experiment on a 3 months base - but what is stopping me is shrimps - they have multiplied a lot - there is at least 30 of them in the tank at the moment from 2mm up to 2cm - so I don't know how to save them - they are difficult to catch in that growth.

Thus - I am looking into improving this scape and thus I will definitely break the horizontal green bands (fantastic inputs by the way, I was not aware of it but you are totally right!) - by putting a large stone and changing that corner plants with something red if possible (I do have there 2 huge dark green plants btw - not visible at all which is not good - issue is that I wasn't careful enough with length of light bulbs... another learning - bulbs need to go from rim to rim).

Thank you a lot for these inputs!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice