What Method Should I Use To Treat Ich?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Stellar Stephanie, Jun 13, 2018.

?

Which method is better to treat ich?

1. Medication

33.3%
  2. Salt and raise water temp to 82°F

66.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Stellar Stephanie

Stellar Stephanie New Member Member

Hi,
    I have a 15 gallon fish tank with four platys. I recently got 3 neon tetras but noticed they had ich so I removed them and returned them back to the store, letting them know that they had ich. Two days later I noticed a white spot of most of my platys fins. I only noticed it because, when they swam a certain angle I can clearly see it. Most times I can’t see it. I’ve heard a lot about using medication to treat ich but I’ve also heard a lot about using salt and raising the water temperature to 82°F. I’m honestly unsure on which method to use to treat ich. Please help! Thanks so much!

2. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

You can raise the temp slowly to 86 degrees and do daily water changes for about 10-14 days until the Ich is gone.

You can buy meds like Kordon Rid Ich. Follow the instructions.

3. sleow

sleow Valued Member Member

I slowly raised my tank to 86F for a small case of ich and within a couple days it was gone. I didn't add salt to the tank, just raised the temp.

4. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

82 is not warm enough to treat ich. 86 is the minimum temp for that. Warmer if your fish can tolerate it.

As for which method you should use - I prefer heat. I don't like to medicate my fish unless I absolutely have to.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice