What Meds Should I Use To Treat My Guppies Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by will1221, Aug 20, 2019.

1. will1221

will1221Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +3
    My guppies have had pink sore patches in the skin which have began to turn a yellow colour and I was wondering which meds I could use to help them as I read up on melafix and saw about it killing the fish that people tried to treat.And also as I don’t have a quarantine tank I was wondering what I should do to help them apart from running water changes.

Here are the guppies:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

They are also eating algae and things around the tank and I am planning to run a water change and tank clean tomorrow

2. A201

A201Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,538
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Seachem's StressGuard probably will help, and of course a weekly 50% WC.

3. OP
    OP
    will1221

Ratings:
    +3
    I’ve read up about guppy’s having naturally orange and yellow marks but I can’t tell weather mine are normal or a parasite/infection.

4. 86 ssinit

86 ssinitFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,270
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Have you tested your water? How old is the tank? How often do you change the water?

5. OP
    OP
    will1221

Ratings:
    +3
    0 ppm nitrite 20ppm nitrate dunno about ammonia

I do 25% every week and it’s around 2 months old

6. oldsalt777

oldsalt777Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +657
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hello Will...

Never put chemicals in the tank other than the standard treatment for chlorine, chloramine and whatever else the public water people put into the tap to make the water safe to drink. Medications are never the best answer. You don't know how your fish are going to react. The best approach is to clean up the water. Start a more aggressive water change routine and add a bit of standard aquarium salt to the new water. I would remove and replace a little more water every week, until you reach 75 percent. Then, reduce the change to 50 percent for as long as you keep the tank running. If you clean up the water, the health of the fish will improve. Add a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt to every five gallons of treated tap water. That's all you need to do. You can follow the 50 percent water change and salt dose indefinitely.

Old