What makes some blue angelfish bluer than others? Question 

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I read somewhere along my travels that the zebra and smokie genes intensify the blue-ness of homogeneous blue angelfish. I don't know if this is true, but I have seen some spectacularly blue blue zebra angelfish, even more blue than other blue zebra angelfish. What makes some of them so blue? Like NEON blue?

I had one blue silver angel who was much bluer (and a bit darker) than the other 5. Unfortunately she died before she had a spawn in my tank, so I cannot confirm, but I was thinking maybe she didn't have a gold gene like the other 5 (who did in fact each have 1 gold gene). I thought maybe one gold gene muted the blue to a powder blue, like one step toward a platinum angelfish (two gold genes and two blue genes).

I found some pics of her, but they are from 10 years ago, so quality sucks, but you can still see there is a big difference in the way the blue expressed on this fish.
20190322_141741.png

20190322_141828.png

The other thing I noticed was the stripes of the angelfish with a gold gene are all broken, whereas the darker one was not. But was told that it's an influence of lighting that breaks up the bars, not a gold gene. I never got a blue angelfish without a gold gene from spawning, but the new juvie blue silvers I got have full bars.
20191124_194852.jpg

4 out of 7 'pinoys' are actually just silver, but they have full dark stripes.

Just makes me wonder.....

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Giving this a bump up for you

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom