what makes glofish glow

Aldric
well the topic says it all really what makes glofish glow and would they be compatable with bristlenose and Gourami ? ( already planning for filling my new tank which I'm getting tomorrow )

oh and can you get them in the UK becouse my LFS didnt have any the last time I looked

Shawnie
glofish were created from the dna of a jelly fish ...so I'm assuming it has something to do with their dna....what size tank are you putting them in with the gourami ? gourami's don't play nice with others usually if they don't have enough room to call their own

Aldric
I'm getting a 4ft x2ft x2ft tank which works out to about 100 gallons
I'm also gonna use sand instead of gravel and real plants with rocks to form caves for fish to hide in I was also thinking about a few cory's to keep the BN company

I was kinda worried that the glow was from some sort of dye that would wear off after a time

Lucy
Dyed fish are different than glo-fish. Glad to hear you don't support dying.
Sounds like a nice tank !

Aldric
well the dyeing sounds painfull for the poor fish plus once people have bought them and they then lose their colour it might make people then get ride of the poor fish as they no longer look the way they bought them

CDA
I saw what I believe to be dyeing the other day. They looked like white mollie type fish with hearts and peacesigns all over them. It really looked dreadful and all I could think of is the poor little fish having to endure this.

I have heard that glofish are actually zebra danio's. :-\

What makes people think up these stupid things to do to these poor defenseless creatures just to make money and fame.

Aquarist
CDA I've seen pictures of fish on line that were actually tattooed similar to what you are describing. It's awful! I know how bad my tattoo hurt I can only imagine what the fish went through or will go through because of it. Just my opinions
The glofish were injected with the dna of a jelly fish as mentioned. Now the glofish actually produce the fish in colors. Not all of them have been modified.

Ken

mathas
Aldric said:
oh and can you get them in the UK becouse my LFS didnt have any the last time I looked
I haven't seen anyone answer this part, unless I missed it, but the answer is no.

From Glofish's FAQ:

Are GloFish® fluorescent fish available outside of the United States?
GloFish® fluorescent fish are currently available for purchase only within the United States. We have no plans to ship our fish to other countries at this time, but we will update this web page if this status changes.

Why can’t I buy GloFish® fluorescent fish in Australia, Canada, or Europe?
At present, Australia, Canada, and Europe prohibit the marketing of any genetically modified organisms, including our tropical fluorescent zebrafish, until they are cleared through an extremely complex and costly review process. For now, due to the time, expense, and uncertainty involved with the approval process, we have no plans to submit an application in either Canada or Europe. We have submitted an application in Australia, although we do not have any indication of how long the approval process may last, or what the outcome will be. Please continue to monitor our website for any updates on availability in these areas.

Aldric
ahhhhh ty mathas I didnt see that on their website
looks like I will have to find some diff "showpeice" fish

BigJoe
many tetras have fluorescent spots and stripes... maybe you can try neons, cardinals, glowlights, black neons, head and tail lights, or several others... with a tank in the 100 gallon range you could go crazy with a school of neons and a school of rasboras... it would be very spectacular... especially if you add a bunch of plants and such for them to swim through and hide in and around...

jdhef
I am currently reading a book titled "Next" written by Micheal Crichton. The book centers on genetic engineering, and GloFish came up in one part of the book. It was stated in the story that GloFish were developed overseas and then licensed by a company in Texas. Apparently it took two years to get approval from the US government to sell them.

jclee
There are also transgenic pigs, monkeys, beagles, and axolotls. I think the axolotls are now being sold as pets. In their case, they were made to glow to better observe the skeleton in research of their regenerative abilities. I have also read that transgenic animals are not usually as healthy and long-lived as the unaltered counterparts. (i.e. "glo-fish" probably won't live as long, and will be more susceptible to illness than zebra danios.)

I don't have any particular "ethical" issues with glowing animals, though as with any "pet trend" I worry about increased sales to people who think they're "cool," and don't know how to properly maintain the species in question. At leased increased sales of captive bred glo-fish would decrease sales of wild caught fish.

proudmomoftwins
I thought that I would add that I have a 55 gallon tank with three (used to be four) neon dwarf gourami with two glofish and four plain zebra danios and they all get along great. Plus I have two albino corycats, one rubberlip pleco and two parrot fish in the aquarium. All my fish get along really good. Good luck, and hope you have fun!!

couesfanatic
I have five glofish. they rock! I should post a pic or two.

peacemaker92
couesfanatic said:
I have five glofish. they rock! I should post a pic or two.
Cool! Yes, pics!

Aldric
yes please

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom