What makes driftwood different form non-driftwood.

Utar

I have learned this of late. I started out by finding some really nice wood that was laying around near my house.

Not driftwood.

Root of a tree 8-20-20.jpg

This wood is not driftwood and will probably never be suitable for a aquarium. It has never been in water so it floats, and it releases to much in tannins and just makes the water look nasty. The only way I might use it was to let it soak for a year, and then see if it might work.

Driftwood.

55 Gallon Aquarium 8-15-20.jpg

In this picture of my aquarium there is four pieces of driftwood, back left, left front, right front and back center.

I picked up wood along a sandy beach of a large lake, this wood had been in water for no telling how many years because the lake is man made with trees under the water. The wood is water and weather worn, so it is smooth with no bark.

Took the wood home, boiled it re hydrating it for a couple of hours. The wood soaked up the water so it sets on bottom, and releases no tannins. This makes good aquarium wood.

GlennO

True I guess, it can't technically be 'driftwood' unless it's drifted.

Upvote 0

Utar

True I guess, it can't technically be 'driftwood' unless it's drifted.
So true....lol

Years of being in the water has done all the work for us, making it aquarium ready. After some boiling of course.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Esimm03
  • Question
Replies
Views
lolapetrovik
Replies
Views
NewbieFishGuy