What macro lens do you use?

clubracer

HI everyone,

Does anyone use a macro/micro lens to take photos of their fish and aquariums? I'm struggling to get the close up shots I want, and Nikon's auto settings aren't doing it for me. I have a Nikon D7000 paired with a Nikon AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED lens. What lens do you use and what are your go-to settings? Any advice for a photography newbie would be greatly appreciated!
flowers.gif

Thanks!

LMO

I'm using the same lens but paired with the D800. I don't use the auto settings especially for aquarium shots as I've often found they come out overexposed. I've tried adjusting the settings to find what works for my aquarium's lighting and the camera's histogram is a useful tool to see if your photos are coming out over/underexposed. e.g. for this photo I used f/4.5, shutter speed 1/320, ISO 3200 - The LED lighting in my aquarium and the shutter speed required to take the moving fry meant I had to use a very high ISO setting (but this camera's sensor allows it to cope better at higher ISO settings without a lot of noise).
DSC_7267.JPG

What issues are you tending to have with the photos you're taking? Could you post an example. Also I think you're using a DX camera with an FX lens which isn't a problem but means your focal length is actually 1.5x what is shown on the lens (so instead of 105mm it's 157.5mm) so this may be making it harder to get a sharp shot (if you're finding the images are coming out blurred.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
I'm using a cannon eso77d with a laowa 25mm F2.8 2.5-5x ultra which is giving good results
below is the eye of my albino cory
IMG_1527.JPG

New Threads