What Looks Like A Bump?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cneum, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Cneum

Cneum New Member Member

A few days ago my tank was dirty and I said to myself it was time to do a water change, and I look at my goldfish and see she has a red almost veiny looking burn? I believe it's an ammonia burn..not sure tho. So I threw some API Quick Start in the tank overnight, it seemed to lessen a little bit, but then it went back to how it looked. I do the change and put the API in again, and did a one day fast, still no change..

Any thoughts?
    Here's a close up, she hates when I try and take pictures of her.
    2u94igo.jpg

Attached Files:

2. James17

James17 Well Known Member Member

Do you have a test kit to test your water parameters?

3. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

You can't wait with goldfish til the tank looks dirty to do a water change. If you haven't changed your water since yesterday, then the tank is dirty. They are dirty fish and their water fouls quickly. (I am assuming the tank is not cycled. Adding API quick start does not mean the tank is cycled. It still takes 3 to 4 weeks at least.) Is that the way her mouth is? Sorry I don't remember what the mouth is suppose to look like. I had 2 Orandas 30 years ago and I wouldn't keep goldfish after that. The bump on her side does not look normal to me either. I know who to ask.
    @BottomDweller

4. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Hi, the mouth doesn't look normal to me but it could just be the picture.

I'm not sure exactly what the problem is but it looks like the sort of thing caused by bad water quality.

How often do you normally do water changes and how much?
    How big is the tank?
    Any other tankmates?
    Do you know what the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are?

5. OP
    OP
    Cneum

Cneum New Member Member

I've had her for about 3 years now, and was told a long time ago that the gray on her mouth was just natural fungus and that I nothing to be worried about..she didn't have as much in the past but over time it just started to get more noticeable.

I know I'm gonna have to start doing more frequent water changes, I doubt my levels are what they need to be but I'm trying to get that going.

Right now she's about 3 years old, no tanks mates (had one at one point but the poor Molly died..), she's in a 20 gallon with a Whisper filter for a 15-20 gallon tank and I change the water and clean the inside of the tank every 2 weeks or so. I don't have any management system other than the filter and a bubble wall.

These are the results I did 4-18 at 1am:
    20kf7mu.jpg
    Same results respectively.
    20z7bl4.jpg
    What the tank looks like:
    2nlz78j.jpg

Last but not least what her mouth looks like now:
    2l9gynd.jpg
    a4om60.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice