What Live Plants Will Goldfish Like And Eat ?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by OmarAsim4, Apr 8, 2017.

1. O

OmarAsim4 New Member Member

Guys,
    Please advise on live plants which is easy to care and will be eaten by goldfishes?

2. Monrankim

Monrankim New Member Member

You want your plants to be eaten?

3. _IceFyre_

_IceFyre_ Well Known Member Member

Why not feed them veggies instead of paying for expensive plants?

4. OP
    OP
    O

I'm new to this like for planting Live plants so dont know about them alot , but I have done research on Internet over there it say's to buy Anubias Barteri , Is it good for goldfish and will they like it ?

5. Monrankim

I'm not sure if this will fulfill their nutritional needs completely but I would imagine that it would be a healthy addition to their diet. Are you trying to propagate a plant in your tank that they could eat or add grocery store veggies like greens or something?

Duckweed would be something to consider. It reproduces very fast and I have plenty if you need some

6. ashenwelt

ashenwelt Well Known Member Member

So if you want plants that will survive and be munched on, you need to select fast growing plants and not super slow like anubias.

So water sprite and anacharis (water weed) are good choices. I would person ally though possibly do duckweed or water lettuce as they may actually slow down its insane growth.

But fast growing is always best if you have goldfish.

As a note, you would still need to feed the fish.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2017
  7. Monrankim

Well I don't understand why you would bother trying to keep an aquatic plant if it will be destroyed. The plants will not repair the damage fast enough to continuously feed your fish, even with Co2 and ferts. You would be better off just buying fish food.

8. ashenwelt

It is healthier for the fish. And enough fast growers and they will survive.

9. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

Duckweed! It grows super fast and goldfish love it. I supply duckweed for my lfs goldfish tank.

Guppy grass is another fast grower. Idk if they would eat it though.

10. ashenwelt

I have about 20 1oz packs of duckweed I am making... Lol.

11. Monrankim

I would imagine that the plants would just get uprooted and torn to pieces, leaving scraps and dead and decaying plant matter adding additional organic waste to the water column. I have never hear if this so it in only speculation on my part so I don't know. I keep planted tanks so the concept is a little alien to me :) that why I suggested Duckweed, it's small, floating and can't really be damaged other than swallowed whole. Also it would quickly renew it self as long as their are surviving specimens long enough

12. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

I thought I got rid of it once, but... well, it has "weed" right in the name

13. Monrankim

Herpes of aquariums lol

14. ashenwelt

The fast growers I listed can be floated lol. Skipping stuff that needs roots makes sense

15. Monrankim

That makes sense

16. OP
    OP
    O

Oh okay guys , forget the eating part LOL ! HAHA so you guys are say Anacharis and duckweed will be better for me to keep inside the tank ? Which is easier to manage ?

Tell me a plant that is easy to manage , fast growing , my goldfishes will love them and that plant which needs less light

17. Monrankim

Duckweed. It floats on the surface close to the light and breeds out of control. Water lettuce, same as duckweed

Java moss, wisteria, and also guppy grass was mentioned but I'm not familiar with it. Low light non Co2 plants usually go hand and hand with slow growth. Floating plants have the advantage of having access to atmospheric Co2 and grow fast

18. OP
    OP
    O

How are Anchrias ? I want to buy that plant which I can put in my sand and I can remove it when changin water

19. ashenwelt

I would just float it.

20. OP
    OP
    O

The thing is if I will just make it float,It will get difficult to change the water then.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice