What live food can I breed for my tropical fish

stevenjane

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi, I have a surplus 17litre tank that i would love to breed my own live food for my fish. i haven't a clue as to what type is possible except sea monkeys and they only talk about @blacked out little tubs'

anything that could live with them to and not compete for food. would be most grateful for any of your ideas on the subject. I have thought of guppies and give the fry to my other fish but the wife wont let me so its back to worms, fleas, monkeys, shrimp anything except fish.

thanks again for you very informative site.:;sman of and a Merry Christmas to all

Sharkdude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Girlsbeforefish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You can start a brine shrimp or a daphnia culture. Both are great foods for small to medium tropicals.

stevenjane

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks for that, I'll give that ago and let you know what happens

iZaO Jnr

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Brine shrimp is a great food source, but they need a brackish environment to grow and the eggs need to be dried before you can hatch them

Daphnia is very easy and can be kept in a tank on their own.

I'm planning to seperate a 12 gallon tank into 3 sections for different live foods in water, and will have numerous other tubs with worms, fleas, crickets etc.

If you have a question directly related to live foods, how to rear them and how to feed them, conditioning etc. Just PM me and i'll be happy to give you advice.

I currently plan to have the three sections as daphnia, brine shrimp and mosquito fish fry in the 3 sections.
I will also have small cricket supplies, microworms, and hopefully white worms as well, otherwise wingless fruit flies will work. I also have a constant supply of mosquito larvae at home too!

Nothing gets the same reaction from fish when you feed them something that actually "jiggles" and "jumps" around in the water.

stevenjane

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks for the offer and yes i would love to take up your offer of PM but i dont have enough posts to do it. sorry. i tried daphinia in a 17ltr tank but that was a disaster within 2 days so i got very disheartened and put my male betta in there instead. i dont have much money but love to see the fish especially my bettas eat live food. so would be grateful if there was a small scale way of producing my own live food. thanks again for you help there

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Please share your knowledge with us all concerning "live foods, how to rear them and how to feed them, conditioning etc." ... instead of using Private Messages.

I'm sure other members may find the information helpful.

Thanks!

Ken

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads