What lighting category would this lamp be considered?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by klogue2, Dec 25, 2012.

1. klogue2

klogue2 Valued Member Member

By lighting category I'm speaking in terms of plant lighting, like low, moderate, and high :)

I'm looking to do low-moderate, maybe moderate lighting.

If I got this fixture for my upcoming 40 gallon aquarium, and kept the stock bulbs that come with it, what light would it give me for growing plants?

Edit: Would this light, below, give me too much light for what I'm wanting, or would it be better for my category of light?

2. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

The first fixture is just a normal output T5 that would put you in the low light category.

The second would give a bit more light, though there are other high output fixtures that bypass that one. It would probably give you moderate/highlight.

You want anything from 5000k-8000k for plant growth.

3. c

chevyguy8893 Well Known Member Member

For either a 40B or 40L at a 16" height, running both bulbs in the odessea dual T5HO fixture would give you somewhat high light depending on how far it is from the top of the tank. You may be able to run one bulb in it giving you medium light at the same height. The coralife fixture would give you low light and no option to go to higher light if you ever chose to.

If you buy a T5HO fixture to run one bulb I would still add some source of CO2 and don't wait till algae appears because it isn't always fun to remove. Anyway, here is a couple good threads to take a look through if you haven't already. The first link is more up-to-date.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=184368
    http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105774

edit: too slow :)

4. OP
    OP
    klogue2

klogue2 Valued Member Member

Thanks! I think I'll go with the Coralife since I'd rather stay with the easy plants anyways; I've started planting my 29 recently so I'm still new but know quite a bit so far :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice