What light should I buy?

1. Diego Member Member

Hi. I just bought a 48" 50 gallon tank and it came with a single t8 light. It sucks and i want something a lot brighter so I could get plants. Any suggestions? I want to get a dual t5, buy every one that i have looked at has bad reviews on amazon or wherever, and they are expensive. Theres a bunch of people who say they just stop working. So does anyone recommend a certain lighting fixture that is reliable and relatively cheap? I want at least medium light, but preferably high.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Shiloh Keller Initiate Member

i cant answer your question, but good luck and congrats on your new tank! :;dolphin

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'd stay away from high light unless you want to inject CO2.

I'd go with LEDs - cheaper in the long run than fluorescents - they last longer and use less electricity.

I really like the Finnex fixtures. I have the Planted Plus on my 55 gal and I can grow medium light plants. The Ray 2 will provide slightly higher light, but you can easily get algae if you're not careful.

4. Diego Member Member

That one looks good! I think ill get a 48" one. I plan on growing mostly easy plants like anubias, java fern, water wisteria, etc, but also plants like dwarf hairgrass, rotala, baby tears, etc.

5. Diego Member Member

What size do you have on yours?

6. Diego Member Member

And what type of plants do you have and how is their growth doing?

7. cichlidman Well Known Member Member

I would totally get a finnex ray2 fixture with the dual daylight . Or the planted+ My oldest one is 3 years old and will grow anything and saves me around 150 a year in bulbs and electric

8. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I have a 48" Finnex Planted Plus on a 55 gal, a 30" Planted Plus on a 29 gal, and a 30" Stingray on another 29 gal. I had a 20" Ray2 on a 15 gal, but the person I bought it from let it get water damage so it stopped working very shortly after I got it.

With the Planted Plus, I grow multiple species of Hygrophila (2 medium light species, 1 low light species), Rotala indica, multiple species of Crypts, multiple species of swords, S. repens, dwarf sag, Anubias, Java moss and Christmas moss, and water sprite.

Everything grows so well with these lights. I started out with a few plants and now all of my tanks look like jungles. I use sand and Osmocote root tabs with weekly Flourish doses, and my new tank will have Turface Pro League and Flourish (with the 30" Planted Plus and Stingray from the 29 gals and an LED floodlight since it's a corner tank and no Finnex light will fit in the back).

9. Diego Member Member

Cool. I think that i might get a finnex planted+