What light fixture should i get?

1. ZanderFTW

ZanderFTW Valued Member Member

I'm going to replace my light fixture over the summer and i was wondering what T5 fixture should i get for a low tech planted tank. I was thinking of getting amazon swords, jungle val, duckweed, java fern and moss. I have a 55g tank and i was thinking of getting a coral life 48inch 2x54watt fixture with the 6 700k bulbs.

Any ideas?

2. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to fishlore :;hi2

Personally, and I know Dena (catsma) will probably disagree with me :p :pokey:

Given you have a two tube fixture, I'd look at two different tubes. 1 x 6700k, the other 10,000k. This would give you a broader light spectrum, and also give you a 'whiter' light in the tank (purely for aesthetics)

That said, in a low-light tank, 2 x 6700k would be fine, and should still give you good results.

Now where's Dena :;nin2

3. OP
    OP
    ZanderFTW

what about the colour max and the 6 700 i think plants like the pink bulbs also isn't the yellow light better and thanks for welcoming me

4. Dlondon95

Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

5. OP
    OP
    ZanderFTW

My tank is 18inchs in height and it is T5HO i guess that's good in a way because then i can get the medium light plants
    has anyone had experience with this fixture or another that they would recommend

6. Dlondon95

That will leave you with high light. You might have to dose with Flourish Excel to prevent algae.

7. OP
    OP
    ZanderFTW

The plants will do that for me plants like water wisteria will take the micro nutrients from the water and prevent algae

8. Dlondon95

You still may have algae problems. I had a heavily planted high light tank before and no matter what I did, I would get algae if I didn't does with some kind of carbon.

I'm not saying that you will have problems for sure, I'm just saying be careful.

9. OP
    OP
    ZanderFTW

thanks anyways

10. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I think that the T5HO light would be fantastic but it ill give you high light, now then with that said carbon suppliments are usually needed, unless of course you have so many plants that you can manage it with fertz only, which is a VERY fine line to walk.

That light chart is an invaluable tool for determaning your lights.

11. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Get the lights you like the look of. Those plants will grow well in almost any light of that output.

I would agree with the carbon supplements at the recommended dosage.

12. OP
    OP
    ZanderFTW

I have another question would duckweed drain out the light since its a floating plant

13. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Yes it will if you don't control the coverage. Just scoop some out with a net now and again and rinse it under the tap. With luck it will go down the plughole and into a bigger aquarium down the pipeline!

14. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

yeah duckweed is great for sucking up nutrients in the tank, but it will over run the top of your tank if not maintained. I know people that compost it, feed it to gold fish, use it as lawn fertilizer, grind it up into fish foods, give it away for free, flush it, and just trash it. Its all up to you as to how you handle it.