What Light? Finnex Fugeray?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Lighting' started by Katie13, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

I’m starting my first saltwater tank. It will eventually house BTA and coral. The coral I’m looking into requires moderate lighting. I don’t want to spend more than $100. I was looking at the Finnex Fugeray, but I couldn’t find ratings on it. What would you suggest? Is the Finnex Fugeray good? Finnex lights are basically top of the line in FW setups.

2. CulpritFishlore VIPMember

For a reef ready light for under $100 I would take a look at Chinese Black Boxes, especially the vipargrow or MarsAqua. Reef tanks require specialized lighting with lots of blues. The fugeray will not work.

Check out your local clubs on facebook and sometimes they'll have their own mini forum. Wait a second... just saw your from east tn. Whats up? I live in Andersonville.

the local clubs around here are great. Vol State Aquatics is a great group mainly based on Facebook but with regular monthly meetings. There is also ETRC (east tennessee reef club) which has their own mini forum and they get together every month. If your looking for great used equipment, hit Parrott Aquatics up. definitely give them a call. I got my light off of them for cheap and its a fantastic light (Ocean Revive Arctic T247). Parrott will be able to help you with everything, they're reallly knowledgable and can help setting up your tank, setting you up with equipment, ect.

3. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

As mentioned the cheapest light for the job LED wise is the Chinese Black Box lights. Finnex may be good for freshwater but they are substandard for reef tanks/coral growth. Corals are the expensive side of the hobby. The finnex would be fine for fish but marginal at best for corals. A powerful full spectrum light is best for comfortably growing a variey of corals. The black box will also open up your options with what you can grow. You cant go really cheap with lighting.

4. Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

I got a $150 light yesterday for $70 at my LFS. It was what the owner uses and recommends

5. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Any ideas what it is?

6. Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

It's the Aquatic Life Dual-Lamp T5HO Marquis Marine Aquarium Light. It has an actinic blue lamp (48.2% violet and 35.7% blue) and a 10000K lamp (might change out to a 14000K that they offer)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  7. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Oh okay, a T5 setup will definitely give you good light for coral growth, just be aware that the bulb replacements aren't the cheapest, hence why many are moving over to LED fixtures these days.

8. Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

I really like the light and the owner told me he loved it after I had picked it out. I was paying a lot of attention to the blue and purple spectrums. I’ve looked into bulb replacements as well. The bulbs are supposed to last a good while.

9. CulpritFishlore VIPMember

Fyi, BRS came out with a video on their BRS TV channel, and it disprovs the replace t5 bulbs every 6 months. I can't remeber the exact time, but they go a really long time without degrading.

10. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

I think for the better fixtures/bulbs it's in the 12-18 month range, if memory serves me correctly. Obviously if she bought it used it will come sooner than that depending on how much it was used. With a smaller tank and dual bulb replacement only it won't be super expensive. It's when you have a 4 foot or longer tank with a 6-8 bulb fixture where it gets pricey for replacements. To say nothing of what it does to your electric bill

11. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

*EDIT, Please Delete*

12. Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

It’s brand new. It was 50% off at my LFS during their Christmas sale.

13. Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

14. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Fine for fish, garbage for anything else. For reference I run my LEDs at 18K and they are a full spectrum light. If you are looking for these to just have Lionfish (no 'nems, corals, etc.) they should be fine.

15. Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

It's a 14000K for moderate light. It's not for Lionfish, the tank will have a few low-moderate light corals and a moderate light anemone.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  16. Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

17. CulpritFishlore VIPMember

Imo... if you want a light for under $100 and want a BTA and coral, get a chinese black box. Or.... check your LFS and local clubs for used lights. IMO best lights for the cheapest you can get used from your LFS. I got an Ocean Revive T247 from my LFS or $100. Check also buy and sell forums, lots of time people will be getting out of the hobb, just got a light upgrade, ect., and will sell lighting for very cheap. If you pulled it right you could probably get an AI Prime HD for $100 or a little over.

https://www.amazon.com/MarsAqua-Dim...44861&sr=8-2&keywords=marsaqua+165+watt+light I got this one for $80 on a flash sale. The thing is... its a light. A very powerful one, but just a light. Have to manually dim, and turn off and on, not really the bets spectrum, no UV, no built in electronics. I really really like my Ocean Revives. Programmable, UV, really sweet spectrum. And cheap.