Question What light do you recommend for a 20 gallon long low tech planted tank?

matt415

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It seems like many 30 inch LED lights are too strong for a low tech planted tank. I'd like low/medium light just to grow some easier plants like swords, anubias, java moss, etc. What do/would you use on your 20 gallon long? Thank you

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have the AquaOne 13" on my 10 gallon low techs. Great (low tech) plant growth and no algae. Plus it makes reds on fish really pop. A 20 long is the same depth as a standard 10g.

Ambie

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Nicrew ClassicLED+ or Beamswork DA FSPEC (Which is what i use on my 20L)

OP
M

matt415

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ambie said:
Nicrew ClassicLED+ or Beamswork DA FSPEC (Which is what i use on my 20L)
I looked at your tank and its very impressive, looks awesome! I was going to ask if you use a dimmer or think that your Beamswork is too bright, but it seems like it works well for you. I actually have that exact light on my 37 gallon and have had mixed results. Do you use ferts/CO2?

OP
M

matt415

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Fisheye said:
I have the AquaOne 13" on my 10 gallon low techs. Great (low tech) plant growth and no algae. Plus it makes reds on fish really pop. A 20 long is the same depth as a standard 10g.

Thanks! I will look into these lights

Fisheye

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So they aren't the fuIl span of the tank obviously but I like some shadier spots for the fish.

On a 20L I've also run the Marineland LED 24" (I think)-they don't make it anymore. I liked the low profile and it kind of acted like a shelf during maintenance and pruning. But I always had algae issues no matter what I did.

Ambie

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
matt415 said:
I looked at your tank and its very impressive, looks awesome! I was going to ask if you use a dimmer or think that your Beamswork is too bright, but it seems like it works well for you. I actually have that exact light on my 37 gallon and have had mixed results. Do you use ferts/CO2?
My 20 is dirted and i don't use a dimmer and I haven't had too much algae other than a little green spot here and there, which my shrimp and snail quickly handle. But i planted very heavy to prevent huge algae growth. I only use Thrive 1x week after a 50% wc.

It's is a very bright light, and i've started to add some floater to encourage some of my more shy fish to come out, but not because of any algae growth.

OP
M

matt415

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Mike1995 said:
Look into the finnex stingray. Excellent for low/medium light plants in a 20g.
I've heard great things about these, but wouldn't it be too bright for a 12 inch high tank? According to: the stingray would be high light.

New Threads