Question What level do you keep your nitrates under?

goldiegirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi, all : ) I read all of the stickies, and I may have missed this... I know everyone's different, but I'd like to hear from others where they prefer to keep their nitrates. Both my tanks are fully cycled, I just have to decide how often to do water changes. I've read that anything below 40 is okay, some people say under 20, and I've even read articles doing my own research that say to keep them under 10. I have freshwater goldfish tanks. I've been changing the water weekly, even though the nitrates have never risen above about 15 in a week's time. I don't really mind it, but if I'm changing too frequently it would be nice to know it so I can save on conditioner and salt. What would you all recommend? Thanks!

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i'd say 20 and below. you'd probably want to stick to weekly changes since goldfish are bigger waste producers....just to keep the water clean and them healthy

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hmmmm, I wonder what my nitrates are....

Lol if you have to ask it might be a good thing to check.... I keep mine under 30....I struggle with my 25gal sometimes it'll jump around but doesnt go out of the 30's.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Lol if you have to ask it might be a good thing to check.... I keep mine under 30....I struggle with my 25gal sometimes it'll jump around but doesnt go out of the 30's.
I did a poll a while ago about testing, and it turned out that a lot of the really experienced fishkeepers know their tanks so well that they don't test.

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mine stay steady at 10. Not sure how, sometimes I feel like they should be higher.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hmmmm, I wonder what my nitrates are....
sounds like you should taste test some more of your water then

I generally shoot for under 20, even if nitrates are fine I typically still change water weekly to keep water hardness steady and to eliminate phosphates and other chemicals that can build up in and aquarium

edit: "taste test" not "taste taste"...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom