What Large Or Medium Carnivorous Fish Type Can Be Fit In A 24 Inch Tank?

Levanex

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I want a large/medium carnivorous fish that can be fit in this tank:

(24 inch , 17.5 gallon)

here are my ideas

1. Alligator Gar
2. Red tail catfish
3. Clown featherback / Clown knifefish
4. Siamese Tigerfish (too much expensive)
5. Silver Arowana
6. other suggestion?

Jayd976

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Red tailed cats get up to 5-6ft and really shouldn’t even be sold in the aquarium hobby. They are ideally a very large pond fish. Arowanna also get very large as do pretty much everything on that list.

My advise is you can’t really keep anything your e going to want in a 17 gallon tank. So some research and upgrade to a 125 gallon minimum if you can to keep some of those fish like the arrowana or knifefish.

California L33

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Honestly, I don't think you're going to have a nice healthy large or medium sized fish in a 17.5 gallon tank- they just produce too much waste for that volume of water so you'll have water quality issues, a stressed fish, and will be dealing with illnesses. Also, many aggressive fish are quite active, and it's kind of cruel to not leave them any swimming room, not to mention that you may have injuries to deal with if they thrash around 'being themselves.' Think about it- Gars can touch 10 feet long and Arowanas 4- how many times were you planning on folding them to get them in the tank? Joking there, but even if you got young examples they grow fast and once they start polluting the water faster than you can change it, or they become stressed from a lack of swimming room, you'll see health problems.

The good news is that there are some nice aggressive small Cichlids that might work. Try posting the in Cichlid section for advice.

Jayd976

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
17 gallons still seems small for some of the smaller aggressive cichlids like convicts and firemouths. If you want them I’d recommend a 30-55 gallon tank to ensure everyone has some space to coexist.

Reeferxbetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Like what was said above, I don't think you're going to find a fish that meets those requirements and will fit in 17 gallons. For 17 gallons, I would suggest just some mix of peaceful community fish.

Taff

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am sorry but every type of fish that you are considering need to be kept in a much larger aquarium.

Most fish will attack prey; just put a small fruit fly or mosquito onto the tank surface and watch guppies take them out or add live critters like daphnia and watch even the smaller tetra species hunt like a pack of great whites.

Your tank needs small fish and they just need appropriate sized prey.

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
All those would most certainly not work in that size tank. Arowana need around 300g, alligators gar get 8ft, clowns get 3ft, as already stated red tails get to large, and I sincerely wouldn’t suggest buying a tiger fish since they are endangered. If you want a carnivorous fish for that size tank, try 3-4 pea puffers, because that’s probably one of the very few predators that will work in that tank size.

Jayd976

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m guessing based on your tank size and desired stocking you’ve probably never kept fish before and this is your first. And that’s totally fine we all have to start and learn somewhere. The important thing in this hobby if you want to enjoy it and be successful is patience and research.

In this hobby doing your research and knowing what will work best do the fish you ideally want will help you be a success aquarist and thrive in the hobby for years to come. Rush things and guess and you’re doomed for failure.

Nataku

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
None of those will fit in such a small tank.
Why do you want a carnivorous fish? Is this a fry/cull eater?

Do you want a piscivore or is a generic carnivore okay? With a good lid you could keep an African butterfly in a 20 long. They are insect eaters. Crickets beetles roaches etc

There's also exodon paradoxes, the bucktooth tetra. These are schoolers but basically mini piranhas. Still couldn't keep them in a tank as tiny as yours but you could keep a group in a 40 breeder. They are one of the other more common recommendations for a carnivorous fish you can keep in a relatively small tank. Fact of the matter is, carnivorous fish aren't small. None of the ones you mentioned would work, most wouldn't even fit, in your tank.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What you are looking for would be a single Dwarf Pike Cichlid, Crenicichla regani or C. notophthalmus, but not C. compressiceps. It would still be cramped, but I've bred mated pairs in a 30 inch 20 gallon long tank, moved down from a 55. They are not that active; even in the larger tank they stayed near their caves. They can eat small fish like guppies. Their natural diet in the wild often includes Apistogramma. Max size is about 6-7 inches for males, so a 24 inch tank is very small, but doable under the right circumstances. Females are 4-5 inches, and rather nicely colored, but they are much more shy than the males.

With that said, you probably shouldn't try to keep one. They are uncommon, at best, and not inexpensive. They do require careful attention to their water quality. My personal position is that certain fish should not be kept if you don't intend to breed them, and this is that type of fish. Another opinion of mine is that big predators are useful as cull eliminators, but should not be kept for the sole purpose of watching them eat other fish or animals.

From your original question, I can only make guesses as to your intent. I don't like to assume bad things about people, but your post does lead one in a specific direction.

jlm418

Valued Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a paradise fish? I keep mine in a 20 by himself. Keeps his pest snails down to a minimum.

ParrotCichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A leopard bush fish would work for a while. Eventually would need upgrade as they get 6-8" but a far better option than what you suggested for the tank!

They are slow growers too would need about 30 gallon for a single fish for life.

Drip&derp

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A black convict cichlid is not that large but I would still recommend a 20-30 I just bought mine a 38 gallon upgrade.

Sea hamster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Whoa slow down there buddy. I can't even convince people to let me keep a rainbow shark in a 20 gallon.

ParrotCichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sea hamster said:
Whoa slow down there buddy. I can't even convince people to let me keep a rainbow shark in a 20 gallon.
Lol keep in mind we all have our own way at doing things. Most people who keep small community fish would be disgusted at a Convict in a 20 gallon tank. While people who keep large predatory species wouldn't see a problem with it.

I've mainly kept large tank busters in the past (Arowanas, gars, snakeheads, larger cichlids ect). So i tend to go by the rule of providing the tank is 5 times the adult length of the fish its all good.

CanadianJoeh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
None of the above work in a 17.5 Gallon.

Bettas and tetras are carnivorous fish that would fair well in a 17.5. You could do a school of 8+ tetras depending on the kind.

ParrotCichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
CanadianJoeh said:
None of the above work in a 17.5 Gallon.

Bettas and tetras are carnivorous fish that would fair well in a 17.5. You could do a school of 8+ tetras depending on the kind.
Single convict is fine in a 17.5 gallon tank. People successfully breed pairs in 10 gallon.

African Leaf fish is another option and definitely predatory.

If you want a real predatory looking fish then a male Pike Live Bearer (Belonesox belizanus) would be good. Like a mini African Pike. The females get a bit big for a 17.5 gallon but the males would easily fit.

CanadianJoeh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
ParrotCichlid said:
Single convict is fine in a 17.5 gallon tank. People successfully breed pairs in 10 gallon.

African Leaf fish is another option and definitely predatory.

If you want a real predatory looking fish then a male Pike Live Bearer (Belonesox belizanus) would be good. Like a mini African Pike. The females get a bit big for a 17.5 gallon but the males would easily fit.
I meant none of the fish that the OP mentioned could live in a 17.5

ParrotCichlid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
CanadianJoeh said:
I meant none of the fish that the OP mentioned could live in a 17.5
Sorry thought you meant the above suggestions. But you are right, none of the suggestions by the poster would work. I've seen threads like this all before. OP wants a predator we recommend him tetras. Then he gets bored and throws a RTC in.

OP if you want a real predatory fish that wont out grow your tank get a male Belonesox belizanus. Could keep a pair of males? but not sure if males get on together. They get to around 4" and while not naturally aggressive they will kill any fish that fits in its mouth. I have 1 male and 3 females (i think) in my 100g currently. Great fish although they demolished 10 guppies when i first got them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom