20 Gallon Tank What Kinds Of Fish Would Be Suitable For My Tank?

TheCanadian

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey! So I actually have a 100L or 26G (60*40*40cm) tank but given the amount of substrate I have it’s closer to 20G of free swimming space. I really want to have Otos and I think they’ll do fine here but the question is really can I keep Corydoras? If I do I’d like to have pandas or some smaller ones the only thing I’m worried about is my substrate. I’m mainly using Ada soil with an area of fine soft sand at the front. Not sure if this would be enough for a school of 6+ corys. I’m trying to occupy most layers of the water column so if you all could recommend some mid to upper level fish that won’t jump out would be great as well! If there are also some types of snail that will eat detritus but won’t breed that’d be great since I’m starting to realise that it’ll be really hard to vacuum my gravel once all the plants are in.

How many Otos could I keep? Is my tank suitable for Cory’s and if so do I have to limit their numbers? Would Amano shrimp work and is there a minimum I should keep to make them comfortable? What kind of snail should I get if any? And finally how should I fill my upper water column? Eyecatcher? Schooling fish?

Thanks to all the fishlorers and I really look forward to all your insights and opinions. I really want to make sure my fish can live happily in my tank!
D55340FC-2DE0-4C01-99FA-3E53B30C0AAF.jpeg
B965E72D-A9CE-45B2-86A8-2833C528F9EF.jpeg
E6B9113A-4754-4AEA-99E3-B871904BC8F4.jpeg

I have a pretty strong Eheim 350 cannister filter, I forgot to check the actual number they label it with but I’m sure it’s “over-filtering” my tank

Also I’m noticing gas/air bubbles in the substrate and sand that come out when I disturb it. This is another thing I wanted to tackle ‘naturally’ with my livestock, something that might burrow once in a while to release the gases but again preferably not breed

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Cories would do great in your tank a group of 6 pandas is fine, even with the otos, but it might leave your stocking options limited after to keep you from overstocking? Possibly anyways.

But its a good set up for cories for sure

Leilio

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
For 20-26 gallons, why not try 2-3 nerite snails or Amano shrimps, as you suggested, (both are popular and will not breed in freshwater) to clean up any potential algae as well as dead leaf matter. If you are thinking about both, then just get a nerite snail for the glass and Amano for other plants. I don't know if they eat fish poop or not, so you still might want to siphon the sand a little. Rachel O'Leary on youtube has some great tip on maintaining a planted tank if you haven't watched her videos yet.

GlennO

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oto's will love it too, but add them last when the tank is well established and with good algae growth.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If your looking for something to break down the waist look into black worms. They reproduce pretty slow and will stay mostly under the surface of the substrate. Shrimp, snails and plecos don't eat poop.

imba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 20g and use ADA aquasoil and ADA sand, similar to your setup.
My stocking is
12 Celestial Pearl Danios
8 Corydoras Hastatus
1 Honey Gourami
1 Corydoras Habrosus and 2 Otoclinclus (these are all adopted fishes from a friend, not the initial planned stocking)
A colony of breeding cherry shrimps

i59D8tl9XIEUbtjlX_dK5ZgB6Qx50EZZ3Aw-sRE1iaxS-kMzAJxQ21lGNjmHzK_nmvnqrnUBYwmXJWyEtKyjQb1Ylw=w2400.jpg

You can do something similar, i.e. 1 school of schooling fish, 1 school of bottom dweller, 1 centrepiece fish & shrimp.

If it were up to me, I'd consider either one - cories or otos.

You could do,
2 Honey Gouramis
18 Rasboras Maculatas
10 Corydoras Habrosus OR 8 Otoclinclus
6 Amano shrimp

If you go with Otos, just ensure you supplement their diet with good algae wafers/ blanched vegetables

TheCanadian

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Are your hastatus mostly on the bottom of the tank? I’m trying to get an even split of fish in the water column hopefully. I’m really not too sure where Otos spend their time in the water column and I only know they like to attach onto plants but my plants are all over the place. I’m not really too big a fan of gouramis for some reason, maybe just haven’t found one I liked yet. I’ll try looking for some of those chilis and tetras but I’m in China so kinda hard sometimes.

imba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hastatus do stay at the bottom most of the time, but they do wander around mid water too sometimes. I would say 75% of the time at the bottom of that makes sense? Haha

If you want dwarf cories that behave similarly to regular ones, corydoras habrosus would be your pick.

The otos I have are very active dish, swimming around the bottom half of the tank and like you said resting on plants and the glass.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom