What kinda of plants do you recommend?

Utar

Well Known
Member
Messages
824
Please take a look at the picture of my 55 gallon tank. It will be a natural topsoil with pea gravel for a cap. This is my first time setting up a dirted tank.

What kinda of plants do you recommend?
All advice is much appreciated.
Background Picture1.jpg
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
Utar

Utar

Well Known
Member
Messages
824
Thank you all for replying and giving me some reading to do. In landscaping my tank, I would really like some ideas. What brand of lighting do you recommend? Can you point me to a good place to buy some type of wood for landscaping?
 

Gel0city

Well Known
Member
Messages
714
How about driftwood? A lot of people have it in their tanks and it looks natural... as for plants make sure you have a strong enough light, fertilizer, as well as root tabs if you want them to thrive. I would warn you against duckweed and frogbit, because without proper maintenance they can take over your entire tank.
 

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,099
Utar said:
Thank you all for replying and giving me some reading to do. In landscaping my tank, I would really like some ideas. What brand of lighting do you recommend? Can you point me to a good place to buy some type of wood for landscaping?
A good place to get some driftwood for aquascaping is ur LFS (local fish store). Here is some lights I would recomend.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
Utar

Utar

Well Known
Member
Messages
824
Gel0city said:
How about driftwood? A lot of people have it in their tanks and it looks natural... as for plants make sure you have a strong enough light, fertilizer, as well as root tabs if you want them to thrive. I would warn you against duckweed and frogbit, because without proper maintenance they can take over your entire tank.
Where is a good place to order driftwood, I have seen it on Amazon but not sure I trust it.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
Utar

Utar

Well Known
Member
Messages
824
FishGuy4563 said:
A good place to get some driftwood for aquascaping is ur LFS (local fish store). Here is some lights I would recomend.
With this virus thing happening, I try and limit where I go. The closest LFS is Houston and that is an hour away for me. So I would prefer to order it, but if a must I will make the trip.
 

AcornTheBetta

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,099
Utar said:
With this virus thing happening, I try and limit where I go. The closest LFS is Houston and that is an hour away for me. So I would prefer to order it, but if a must I will make the trip.
Ordering is the best bet then. I'm not sure where to order from tho. Amazon?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
Utar

Utar

Well Known
Member
Messages
824
FishGuy4563 said:
Honestly IMO Amazon is usually pretty trustworthy.
Yes I order stuff of Amazon all the time, it is just the reviews about the driftwood I have read. Some say they are lucky and get a nice piece, while others say they are disappointed in what they got. Maybe I am asking to much, but I would like more choices or sites to choose form for ordering.

Came back to edit this and say, I will take a chance on a nice piece of driftwood and order through Amazon.
 

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,380
You might want a finer cap than pea gravel, gravel has large gaps and may leach. Gravel is also not very ideal for plants

You might want to look for websites that have larger driftwood. Not sure if amazon does, but if you get small pieces they may look dwarfed by the tank.
Here are a couple sites off the top of my head:



For aquascaping inspiration, check out the Green Machina, George Farmer, and ADA on youtube :)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15
OP
Utar

Utar

Well Known
Member
Messages
824
-Mak- Thank you very much for the websites. I like the ruler on the first site you recommended, and the second site has some really great pieces. I will check out the youtube sites also.

About the pea gravel cap, how about a layer of pool filter sand (I have plenty of that here.) and then the gravel. Do you think that will be a better cap?
 

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,380
Utar said:
-Mak- Thank you very much for the websites. I like the ruler on the first site you recommended, and the second site has some really great pieces. I will check out the youtube sites also.

About the pea gravel cap, how about a layer of pool filter sand (I have plenty of that here.) and then the gravel. Do you think that will be a better cap?
Yes it likely would be! Go light on the gravel if you're going to add it though.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
184
Guests online
2,965
Total visitors
3,149

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom