What Kinda Fish Is This?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Emuhlee, Apr 14, 2018.

1. EmuhleeValued MemberMember

My mom was at the pet store looking at fish and saw this girl in with a bunch of other really small fish. The lady at the fish store couldn't identify it. What do you guys think? 20180414_141908.jpg20180414_142039.jpg

2. Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

I would say platy/Swordtail hybrid (as most are). It might just be a platy though. The causal fin looks rough. It’s got finrot, maybe columnaris. Do the white spots look fuzzy?

3. EmuhleeValued MemberMember

She doesn't have any white spots. Her fin looks fine to me, maybe it's just the way the picture came out?

4. McasellaFishlore VIPMember

Swordtail, the tail fin looks a little white on the edge which can indicate fin rot starting.

5. EmuhleeValued MemberMember

My cousin has some stuff for Betta fin rot, would it be okay to use it for her?

6. Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

Do you know what it’s called?

7. EmuhleeValued MemberMember

Not at the moment. I'll have to wait for her to get here so I can ask. It's in a small dark bottle and says something about Betts fins. That's all I can remember atm

8. McasellaFishlore VIPMember

Most fin rot, specially caught early, can be cured by clean water, and water changes. However some "medicines" that mom and pop or even chain stores carry are not helpful for most fish (most work as a preventative and rarely have any real medicine in them).

9. Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

Pristine water should clear that up. I wouldn't medicate. It does appear to be a young sword tail.

10. EmuhleeValued MemberMember

The water is clean. My mom picked her up yesterday. I wasn't really ready for fish as I'm waiting for my tank to cycle...it was a used tank before. I almost want to say the bb lived long enough and the tank is cycled. The perimeters are where they should be, but only time will tell.

11. McasellaFishlore VIPMember

I meant only that being at the fish store causes them stress, or their fins get nipped allowing for fin rot to happen (plus fish store water generally isn't the best).

12. EmuhleeValued MemberMember

Gotcha. I've gotten alot sick fish from my local per store. I don't prefer to get fish from here, I have to travel an hour to go to a store where people are experienced. I hate to say that about my lfs...but it's not the best place to get fish. Bunnies maybe, fish no.

13. Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

Same problem here. I resorted to buying on-line from a reputable source.

14. EmuhleeValued MemberMember

I went to buy a fish online and it was wayyyyy more expensive.

15. Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

It is. We just can't get around the shipping cost. When my local pet stores fish has a survival rate of under 20% during quarantine, I don't really have a choice.

16. yukondogWell Known MemberMember

I like to give them 4-5 days before I get them, that way if any get sick it will usually show up by then.

17. EmuhleeValued MemberMember

awe :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice