What Kinda Fish Is This?

Emuhlee

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My mom was at the pet store looking at fish and saw this girl in with a bunch of other really small fish. The lady at the fish store couldn't identify it. What do you guys think?
20180414_141908.jpg
20180414_142039.jpg

OP
Emuhlee

Emuhlee

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Katie13 said:
I would say platy/Swordtail hybrid (as most are). It might just be a platy though. The causal fin looks rough. It’s got finrot, maybe columnaris. Do the white spots look fuzzy?
She doesn't have any white spots. Her fin looks fine to me, maybe it's just the way the picture came out?

OP
Emuhlee

Emuhlee

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mcasella said:
Swordtail, the tail fin looks a little white on the edge which can indicate fin rot starting.
My cousin has some stuff for Betta fin rot, would it be okay to use it for her?

OP
Emuhlee

Emuhlee

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Katie13 said:
Do you know what it’s called?
Not at the moment. I'll have to wait for her to get here so I can ask. It's in a small dark bottle and says something about Betts fins. That's all I can remember atm

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Most fin rot, specially caught early, can be cured by clean water, and water changes. However some "medicines" that mom and pop or even chain stores carry are not helpful for most fish (most work as a preventative and rarely have any real medicine in them).

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pristine water should clear that up. I wouldn't medicate. It does appear to be a young sword tail.

OP
Emuhlee

Emuhlee

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mcasella said:
Most fin rot, specially caught early, can be cured by clean water, and water changes. However some "medicines" that mom and pop or even chain stores carry are not helpful for most fish (most work as a preventative and rarely have any real medicine in them).
The water is clean. My mom picked her up yesterday. I wasn't really ready for fish as I'm waiting for my tank to cycle...it was a used tank before. I almost want to say the bb lived long enough and the tank is cycled. The perimeters are where they should be, but only time will tell.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Emuhlee said:
The water is clean. My mom picked her up yesterday. I wasn't really ready for fish as I'm waiting for my tank to cycle...it was a used tank before. I almost want to say the bb lived long enough and the tank is cycled. The perimeters are where they should be, but only time will tell.
I meant only that being at the fish store causes them stress, or their fins get nipped allowing for fin rot to happen (plus fish store water generally isn't the best).

OP
Emuhlee

Emuhlee

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mcasella said:
I meant only that being at the fish store causes them stress, or their fins get nipped allowing for fin rot to happen (plus fish store water generally isn't the best).
Gotcha. I've gotten a lot sick fish from my local per store. I don't prefer to get fish from here, I have to travel an hour to go to a store where people are experienced. I hate to say that about my lfs...but it's not the best place to get fish. Bunnies maybe, fish no.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Emuhlee said:
Gotcha. I've gotten a lot sick fish from my local per store. I don't prefer to get fish from here, I have to travel an hour to go to a store where people are experienced. I hate to say that about my lfs...but it's not the best place to get fish. Bunnies maybe, fish no.
Same problem here. I resorted to buying on-line from a reputable source.

OP
Emuhlee

Emuhlee

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Emuhlee said:
Gotcha. I've gotten a lot sick fish from my of sick fish from my local per store. I don't prefer to get fish from here, I have to travel an hour to go to a store where people are experienced. I hate to say that about my lfs...but it's not the best place to get fish. Bunnies maybe, fish no.
Dave125g said:
Same problem here. I resorted to buying on-line from a reputable source.
I went to buy a fish online and it was wayyyyy more expensive.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Emuhlee said:
I went to buy a fish online and it was wayyyyy more expensive.
It is. We just can't get around the shipping cost. When my local pet stores fish has a survival rate of under 20% during quarantine, I don't really have a choice.

yukondog

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I like to give them 4-5 days before I get them, that way if any get sick it will usually show up by then.

OP
Emuhlee

Emuhlee

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Dave125g said:
It is. We just can't get around the shipping cost. When my local pet stores fish has a survival rate of under 20% during quarantine, I don't really have a choice.
awe

New Threads