What kind of worms are these and are they harmful to my frogs?

TLCF1

Reaction score
Does anybody know what kind of worms these are?
I just noticed them a day ago after coming home from a 2 night camping trip. There seem to be thousands of them no bigger than a millimeter in length. They do not fall off of the side of the walls when I turn the lights on and they move very slowly, almost unnoticeably unless you stare really hard.
The tank is 5 gallons and contains 2 african dwarf frogs and no substrate. I'm scared to do a water change because I have several hang nails and I'm scared that one will crawl into my skin and give me a disease :0
What kind of worms are these? Will they hurt my frogs? Will a 100% water change get rid of them if I just put in cycled water from my 20 gallon fish tank?

Attachments

richie.p

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What are hang nails the only ones I know of are a skin condition and if that the case use gloves but you must do water changes for the welfare of your animals. What you have is detritus worms caused by dirty water low oxygen over feeding

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree theyre detritus worms and no they wont infect your hangnails.

TLCF1

Reaction score
What are hang nails the only ones I know of are a skin condition and if that the case use gloves but you must do water changes for the welfare of your animals. What you have is detritus worms caused by dirty water low oxygen over feeding
yes I think you could call the hang nails a skin condition, they are just pieces of skin next to your nails that peel away for no reason and leave a scab, I don't really know how else to describe it but I'm sure you have probably had one at some point.
I am going to do a water change tonight thank you!

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
okay thank you! I am going to see if I can remove them all tonight with my gravel vacuum from the walls without having to do a 100% water change
You will have to change your water regularly and remove any organic waste to stop them fr coming back

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom