What kind of veggies and fruit can fish eat

dlewin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have carrots in my fridge if I steam them would they be ok for my common pleco. he loves steamed cooled down broccolI and cucumber and zucchinI but I don't have any at the moment. what other foods would my pleco and other fish like. my signature says what kind of fish I have.

Jake the Fish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You could definitely give him carrot if you prepare it like other vegetables. As for other vegetables, I have no idea.

Emily1234

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Other than tank algae you can also feed your pleco algae wafers, zucchini, cucumber, peas, melons and virtually any other type of soft fruits and vegetables you can think of as well as shrimp, shrimp pellets and flake fish food. Carrot should be fine...

Emily

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I feed my Pleco a slice of ZucchinI every morning. Once the tank lights come on, he's in the same spot every morning waiting for it I just slice it, weight it down and drop it in the tank. (along with algae wafers on occasion)

I've also seen my Pleco eat Romaine lettuce that I actually feed to my Silver Dollars. This is something you may want to try. I do not recommend Ice Berg lettuce as it has no nutritional value to humans so I don't see that it would do anything for the Pleco either.

Ken

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Blanching is very helpful when preparing raw veggies - this means dipping the vegetable in boiling water for a while. I blanch zucchinI and peas in the microwave with the same results. Not only does blanching make the veggies sink so most fish can get them, they also soften up and tissues break down so they are easier to bite and eat for small and large fish alike.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've read about feeding potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, corn, peas, greens like spinach and kale, and carrots. I wonder if there's anything they can't eat, like how dogs can't eat chocolate or raisins...

-Lisa

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They are algae eaters not veggie eaters!! I always feed all plecos zucchinI and summer squash they love it haven't tried anything else but this was many years ago before I became a saltie lover. I help my best friend in Las Vegas at his store and told him the same thing because he lost so many of them in the store and he started using zucs and squash and the loved it. good subject on plecos cause if there not eating they are not happy. Good luck!!! I wish I could feed my turbo snails the same way!!!Lol

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Growing algae on rocks outside (fill a jar with tank water, put in some big rocks, add a pinch or two of fish food, leave in direct sunlight) is a great way to get nutrition to pickier bottom feeders like hillstream loaches and nerite snails.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads