What Kind Of Tetra? Question

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Ioana Dog, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Ioana Dog

Ioana Dog Valued Member Member

Hi! I got these and the store said they were silver tetras but I can’t find info on line about them. IMG_1147.JPG

Attached Files:

2. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Looks like silvertip tetras.

3. C

Coptapia Valued Member Member

They're not Silvertips. They look like Gold Tetras.

4. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

Look a fair bit like black neons.

5. GuppyGuy007

GuppyGuy007 Well Known Member Member

Look like gold tetras too me

6. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

Gold tetras, i have five of these little guys (they are neat).

7. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Think they're tankbred gold tetras.
    The gold color is caused by a (harmeless) parasite that the tankbred ones lack.

8. Mcasella

Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

(Then mine must be wild caught because they are almost completely metallic gold.)

9. DoubleDutch

You're right ! Only saw the second pic at my mobile. They looked silvery.

10. OP
    OP
    Ioana Dog

Thank you all. Very helpful!!

11. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Do you want to know more?

12. OP
    OP
    Ioana Dog

Are they good with bettas?

13. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I would advise caution. There is a possibility of fin-nipping. Either avoid this combination or have a Plan B in case it doesn't work out.

Are your fish gold or silver in colour?

I found my previous post on these;

Gold colouration in Gold Tetra Hemmigrammus rodwayi and similar species.

I understand that the gold on these tetras which I find stunningly beautiful is known to be an anti-  layer in the skin produced in reaction to contact with parasitic flukes.

It has the colour of Guanin, an alloy of  , silver and gold.

Unless exposed to the parasitic flukes captive bred fish do not develop the shimmering gold colour and remain silver.

These flukes, known as Trematodes, require several hosts to complete their life cycle so are unlikely to be encountered in aquaria.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  14. OP
    OP
    Ioana Dog

They’re silver but they’re young, only an inch at most. Not sure if that makes a difference. I have 14 in a 10 gallon tank. I asked the aquarium store what fish I could use to keep the tank cycled and that’s what he gave me. I feel stupid for listening because I now know they will grow to a little over 2 inches and I can’t taken them back so I got yet another tank.

I have 3 bettas and one is too aggressive and will forever be alone. One is just really chill but I’m very hesitant to put him at risk because he’s my favorite. The other one is a dumbo betta and a wimp. He actually likes other fish but he got beat up my neon tetras so he needs someone who won’t pick on him.

15. DoubleDutch

If they're silver, they won't get the gold color.

16. OP
    OP
    Ioana Dog

They’re in a 15 gallon now with an aqua clear 30 filter and 2 got sucked up and I found them swimming at the bottom unharmed. I now have a make shift preflter around the intake tube to prevent that from happening again until they’re bigger or I move them. Do you think I could keep them in a 45 when they’re bigger with an aqua clear 70 without using a pre-filter?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice