What kind of tetra is this?

Discussion in 'Tetras' started by celizabethh3, Aug 4, 2014.

1. celizabethh3

celizabethh3Valued MemberMember

This afternoon I went to a LFS that I don't normal check out and in their skirts/hi fin/silver tip tetra tank they had a lone tetra I had never seen before. It has the body shape of a skirt, is even the same colour as my white ones but has pink "paint splatters" lining the upper part of its body. I have never seen anything like it and I almost want to go back, buy it and put it in QT until I get the issues in my 36 sorted out.

Here is a poor picture, mind you, it doesn't show the pink markings. It is not a disease and I'm wondering if it's some sort if variation of the skirts? Which leads to my next question, do you think it would be okay alone in my small school if it's not a skirt? I would see if the pet store could order some more for me but until then.

Attached Files:

2. jetajockey

jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

Looks like a white skirt tetra. I think they'll school with black skirts but not sure, we have a couple of white skirts in the turtle tank.

3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

It does look like a white skirt tetra to me. I see them all the time at my LFS

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    celizabethh3

jetajockey aquaticbrandon have you seen them with the pink splatter marks though? I wish I could have gotten a better picture but this store doesn't like when you take pictures, haha! I already have four black skirts and two white so as long as this guy will school with them, I may go back and QT him. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. hampalong

hampalongWell Known MemberMember

Definitely a skirt, probably a sign of new colour varieties to come. :(

6. OP
    OP
    celizabethh3

hampalong I thought so but I wanted to double check with everyone on here. Its pink markings are the same colour as the bleeding hearts have but four or five spots on each side. Otherwise it is the exact same body colour as my white skirts. I have never seen anything like it though and I can't stop thinking about the fish. :$

7. AquaticBrandon

Maybe the tetra has been dyed

8. OP
    OP
    celizabethh3

aquaticbrandon that's what kind of bothers me. :/ I don't agree with dying/injecting fish to make them more desirable.. maybe I'll see if I can go back after work tomorrow and get better pictures before making a decision. Thing is, I found NO pictures that looked like this one anywhere?!

9. AquaticBrandon

Maybe it is dyed. At my LFS when it was valentines day the same white tetras had a heart dyed on the same spot. It's not safe for fish to be dyed

10. OP
    OP
    celizabethh3

Really?! That's just terrible. I can't say I have seen anything like that before and I'm glad. Now I'm not sure what to do .. hmm!

11. AquaticBrandon

Yeah It was pretty bad

12. OP
    OP
    celizabethh3

I went back to the store after work and I ended up bringing him (her?) home. I'm pretty sure he has been painted, not even dyed. You know when paint splatters on your pants and dries? That's what it looks like. I felt so bad for him so at least he's in a better home now and will be in a larger school of his own species. The girl working even told me that he would "probably grow out of it" but I could also order other coloured tetras from them. Uhm.. no?!

I'll try to get pictures when it gets darker outside. There's an awful glare in my room from the daylight so he just looks like a regular white skirt. Does being dyed/painted affect their lifespan? I'm guessing it has some sort of negative impact.

13. AquaticBrandon

I'm not really sure if it affects the lifespan of he fish. But I think that over time it will have a negative impact on the fish

14. OP
    OP
    celizabethh3

I figured that. :(

Hopefully they won't order any more coloured fish. They even had hot pink danios, ugh!

15. AquaticBrandon

Yeah me too

16. Kindafishy

KindafishyValued MemberMember

That pink Danio is probably a Glofish danio. That's actually a genetic mutation that was engineered to help monitor water health. I think they were originally used in California, but don't quote me on that. They are actually healthy fish and should do as well as any danio.

I just wanted to let you know these aren't "abused" fish.

17. OP
    OP
    celizabethh3

@Kindafishy I'm not sure if they were glofish danios or not but it's more than likely. Thank you for letting me know that they are indeed healthy. :) Their bright colours were what alarmed me a little because I have heard of many fish being dyed. The tetra that I bought on the other hand is likely dyed or painted though.

Here is a better picture --

I think he's beautiful, even if he does lose the pink spots in the future. I love skirt tetras and am hoping to up my school as soon as my tank issues get sorted out. Until then, he's going to have to wait. I do hope that he will be a healthy fish in the future though.

Attached Files:

18. hampalong

hampalongWell Known MemberMember

The dyes used on fish are toxic, and the fish don't usually live that long. Btw, all those different coloured glass fish that you see are injected individually.

19. OP
    OP
    celizabethh3

How about paint though? Is it possible that people actually ​paint fish?

His body is white like a regular white skirt tetra, it's just those splatters that are better seen in the recent picture I posted. It's really weird to be honest. :/ I didn't dare ask her how they get coloured fish..

20. Delaneyw

DelaneywWell Known MemberMember

They could be tattooed. There's a lfs in my town that gets tattooed mollies. The will even get ones that say short words. I don't go there anymore for numerous reasons. No need to tattoo or dye naturally beautiful fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice