What kind of Tetra fish would be best?

• Thread starter Utar
  • Start date

Utar

Well Known
Just added water today to my 55g tank. This is a dirted tank, that will have plants. The water temperature gets very warm here during the summer, low 80s. So the tetra fish need to tolerate warmer water. I am thinking about a tetra fish oriented tank, with as many of the same species as can safely have living in it. I hope to get these fish from a hardy stock that don't have a history of problems. ie diseases common to that species.

SM1199

Well Known
How warm is "very warm"? 80F, 95F?

Utar

Well Known
SM1199 said:
How warm is "very warm"? 80F, 95F?
Sorry about that, in the low 80s.

redmare

Well Known

Utar

Well Known
redmare said:
My mind immediately goes to cardinal tetras, they're known for loving warm water (and they're stunning in a planted tank)
Yes I know of these, had to refresh my memory about them. They are really nice, but are they hardy and easy to find for sale. I'll never do neons again, the one's I bought, brought in two different kinds of diseases.

redmare

Well Known
I have heard everything about cardinals, from bulletproof to looking for an excuse to die. They should be easy to find though, I've never not seen them at a store. I think quarantining and slow acclimation are key to their success.
*This is based off research, not experience.

Utar

Well Known
redmare said:
I have heard everything about cardinals, from bulletproof to looking for an excuse to die. They should be easy to find though, I've never not seen them at a store. I think quarantining and slow acclimation are key to their success.
*This is based off research, not experience.
Thanks you for the info, I have been looking them up for sale online. I found them on one website so far. But just started looking. I will be more inclined to order my fish, rather then going to LFS, because the closest one to me is an hour away. But I want be doing this for a few months now. I would rather not order fish during the summer time, gets too hot here. Tank needs to cycle , and age for awhile.

I still want to take this time to consider all options for stocking.

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
If I were you, I would do a few schools of different types of tetra. Make sure each school is at least 6 fish, closer to 12 is better tho. In a 55g you could fit quite a few tetra and It would look beautiful. I like rummy-nose, ember, and glow light tetra. I have kept neons successfully with minimal death but they have all come from smaller local fish stores.

Utar

Well Known
FreshwaterHG said:
If I were you, I would do a few schools of different types of tetra. Make sure each school is at least 6 fish, closer to 12 is better tho. In a 55g you could fit quite a few tetra and It would look beautiful. I like rummy-nose, ember, and glow light tetra. I have kept neons successfully with minimal death but they have all come from smaller local fish stores.
That sounds great, but as I was reading about the cardinals, even a school of six is not enough. It would have to be schools in the 12s, anything less then the fish in the small schools will become stressed.

Here is a picture of my tank I took today. The substrate is 5" thick, and after adding wood etc. This want be a 55g tank with 55gallons of water in it, probbly more like 35 to 40 gallons. Even worse if I use this big piece of wood in one of the pictures.

55g dirted tank with water.jpg
Tree Root System weighted in water.jpg

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Even so, you could still fit a decent number in the tank with schools of 12. Are you planning to stock anything else?

Utar

Well Known
FreshwaterHG said:
Even so, you could still fit a decent number in the tank with schools of 12. Are you planning to stock anything else?
I was thinking some cories, snails, maybe some shrimp. The tank needs a cleanup crew. But other then that, no other fish except small schooling fish. Hopefully, I want a peaceful planted tank, nice to look at.

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Utar said:
I was thinking some cories, snails, maybe some shrimp. The tank needs a cleanup crew. But other then that, no other fish except small schooling fish. Hopefully, I want a peaceful planted tank, nice to look at.
I'm doing something similar soon with my 72g. I love corys with tetra. Its a classic community tank. Beautiful to look at. Maybe start with 1-2 schools and slowly increase until its stocked? Corys are also schooling fish so they will also need 6+.

flyinGourami

Well Known
In a 55 I honestly would do much more than 6 corydoras. I believe cardinals are fine, what about black neons?

Utar

Well Known
FreshwaterHG said:
I'm doing something similar soon with my 72g. I love corys with tetra. Its a classic community tank. Beautiful to look at. Maybe start with 1-2 schools and slowly increase until its stocked? Corys are also schooling fish so they will also need 6+.
I have been looking at different kinds of schooling fish does, go ok with cardinal tetras. They are temp compatible.

flyinGourami said:
In a 55 I honestly would do much more than 6 corydoras. I believe cardinals are fine, what about black neons?
Black neons, just clicked on the name, I like them. The are about the same size as regular blue neons. So good do 12 easy.

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Utar said:
I have been looking at different kinds of schooling fish does, go ok with cardinal tetras. They are temp compatible.
Yep you totally should be able to. They are both non-aggressive schooling fish.

JettsPapa

Fishlore VIP
Black neons are one of my favorites but I don't know how they'd do in that warm water. Just one big school of cardinals and a dozen sterbai corys (that I believe also do well in warm water) would look great.

Nataku

Well Known
Given a temp range of the low 80s, the fish I'd recommend as peaceful schoolers are cardinal tetras, black neon tetras, green neon tetras, rummynose tetras, von rio tetras, silvertip tetras or harlequin rasboras.
As for warm water corydoras, c. Aeneus, c. Sterbai, c. Adolfoi and c. Brochis are going to be your best bet.

Personally I tend to like the look of only one or two bug schools than a bunch of smaller schools, so I'd do a single species of corydoras, probably around 12-15 individuals as they'll be your only bottom dweller. Then I'd do either one group of 35-40 of single tetra species, or two group of 15-18 of each species. Great thing about these smaller tetras is their bioload is pretty small and a planted tank is going to be good at sucking up nutrients (especially once a dirted tank has had time to settle and mature) so having a big school of them isn't going to be hard to maintain good water conditions on.

Utar

Well Known
Great suggestions, and thanks so much for the replies. So here is what I am thinking, two different species so that I can have at least 12 each. The larger the school, the better for these types of fish. I am liking the cardinal tetras and something of a different color variety, like harlequin rasboras. But when the tank is ready, I am thinking the species of fish that will be more readily available. I still don't want to throw a dozen in at the same time, only because I have to make sure they survive. I am also setting up a quarantine 10g for now and don't want to over load it all at once. So six at a time, quarantine, then add to the 55g. Get the first 12, etc.

VSA

I personally wouldn’t quarantine as it is a new tank. As long as it is cycled, you could just add 12 Harlequins and 12 Cardinals at the same time as they are unlikely to exceed ammonia output that you can cycle your tank to.

Another option would be rummynose tetras. These would Harlequins would give you two tight schooling fish.

Top Bottom